Chapter 2 - Potions

Mai POV:

I was sitting in the great hall rather quietly, just sipping on my pumpkin juice, my eyes travelled through the sea of unknown yet familiar faces and to the staff table, very quickly taking notice of Professor Snape intensely staring at me, forcing me to look away and place my empty goblet down and walk out. Why does he keep looking at me? It's freaking me out.

Timeskip

I walked through the halls in an attempt to make it to potions in time, My other classes were not eventful and pretty boring, I groaned in frustration as the bell rang as I turned into the correct dungeon hall, Now I'm going to be late, just fan-fucking-tastic. I stood outside the door and with a small sigh of false encouragement, creaked the door open and walked in, relief hitting me at the sight of a professorless room, making my way to the back and sitting by the window, I seem to be naturally gravitating to windows recently.

As soon as I sat down, the door slammed open and Professor Snape stormed in as per usual. His monotone cold voice echoed out as he condescendingly glared everyone down.

"I suspect you all know what is required from you by now. . . you all are fifth years now. Merlin help you if you do not know the standards of my classroom. Now I expect you all to. pay. attention. Miss Graves" He zeroed in on me staring out the window to the black lake, causing me to jump and look at him. some other people snickering softly. "I do hope you are prepared to take your OWLs Miss Graves, since the water is much more interesting then what I am teaching." 

I silently shrink in my chair and watch him obediently, taking notes as he wandered around the room lecturing, picking on a few Gryffindors and taking house points away, he wanders down the isle handing out test papers, yep tests on our first day back. 

He reaches me and silently places it on my desk before marching all the way up to the front again and letting people fill out their answers.

Professor Snape's POV:

I stood there keeping watch, occasionally looking over at Miss Graves every once in awhile, she is a massive mystery, I'll take my liberty of looking at some files about her and her family lineage at a later time. I studied her as she wrote, the quill grasped tightly within her left hand, the way her head tilted to the side slightly as she focused on her work, the way her eyes pale blue seemingly pierced through the paper, if possible she probably would've burnt literal holes through the paper by how intensely she was staring. But something still seemed off about her, I couldn't put my finger on it though and my curiosity will not let it simply die down. I guess its silly for me to be curious about a student like this, I simply just want to know the dark secret that is so obviously chewing her up on the inside that she won't share or even hint to. 

Class passed relatively swiftly. Thank god. And I quickly dismissed class and walked out, venturing my way to the teachers lounge, finding Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall inside and talking.

"Ah, welcome Severus, how was class?" Albus asked softly, the usual twinkle in his eye.

"as insufferable as ever. Minerva I have a question" That definitely got her attention, "Have you taught Miss Mai Graves yet this year? or even just seen her around?" 

She shook her head gently, "No Severus, I've seen her walking between classes and that's about it, why do you ask?"

I narrowed my eyebrows in frustration, "something is going on with the girl but I can't tell what, I plan on looking further into it though. with your permission of course Albus" 

He nodded towards him. "As long as you report back with what you find, we do not know if her secret can endanger Hogwarts"

I gave a nod and looked over at Minerva as she began to speak. "for the possibility she could be a safety hazard to Hogwarts, what should we do?"

Albus thought for a second before replying, "continue to let her learn in classes, but do keep an eye on the girl, I'll let the other staff know to keep a watchful gaze on her"

Both Minerva and I nodded in agreement and I stormed straight to Albus' office and began to look for her files, finding them rather quickly and heading back down to the dungeons and into my own office to look through these files. 

 I settled within my seat rather quickly and began to flick through her files, nothing out of the ordinary just yet, typical decent grades, only then once I reached her blood line did things become even more off, every male was documented as normal, but the females of the family tree, every single one just vanished off the face of the earth, no death date, no vanish date, just a birth date, name and that's it. The only female to be confirmed alive is Miss Graves, but seemingly due to her family history, it wouldn't be too much of a shock if she simply disappeared too within the next few years. I refuse to inform Albus just yet incase it puts her in more danger, since whatever is going on is not affecting people outside her family tree then I assume it is okay for her to continue attending without worry.