Chapter 15 - Lonely

Mai POV:

It's halfway through the year and I've lived it as an owl, it was great at first but I came to realize it's more lonely then I've ever presumed, Especially with all the Professors being busy with class. I've just been left to my own devices, which has left me alone to my own thoughts, That I can't share with anyone because I'm a fucking owl. I huffed and glided away from the rooftops and back into the castle.

I glided along in my thoughts, ignoring everyone around me and making my way to my favorite Potion masters classroom. I sat on my perch silently and watched the water.

"Birdie are you okay? You've grown distant, I think we should see Albus" Professor Snape said, his voice laced with concern and worry as he gently picked me up, I didn't protest or anything.

Professor Snape's POV:

I was sitting grading papers when the familiar sound of flapping wings drew near to my door and into my classroom, I looked up to see Mai fly to her perch. "Good morning Birdie" I smiled, But that smile quickly faded when she didn't even look at me, her gaze fixated on the window, I followed her gaze and she was looking out into the lake. Maybe she didn't hear me.

"Birdie?" I asked again, getting up and drawing nearer to her. "Birdie are you okay? You've grown distant, I think we should see Albus" I said, I was getting really worried, she's been acting off recently and its not like she can communicate what is wrong. 

I gently wrapped my arms around her and lifted her up, she just instinctively nuzzled into my arms and stared off into space, not making any noises. Now I am getting worried. I quickly sped-walked to Albus' office, muttering the password to the griffin and opening his door as soon as I could.

"Albus! I think something is wrong with Mai" I sounded far more concerned and worried then I wanted Albus to believe. "She's grown distant and always looks really sad now" 

My grip on her tightened as I looked at her worriedly. 

"Have you tried Legilimency Spell on her?" Albus asked looked at the bird in my arms. 

It was as if a lightbulb went off in my head and I gently placed her down, looking at her and muttering the spell, instantly entering her mind. By the time I came out of it, My face softens as I look into her tired eyes filled with sorrow and emotion. I gently picked her up and pulled her into a hug.

"I'll find a way for you to talk to us again, I promise, We'll form a telepathic link so you'll never feel this lonely again" I said, feeling her bury her face into my neck and begin to sob, little broken chirps coming out of her beak instead of sniffles. I wish I figured this out sooner so I could help. Damnit Severus you always fuck up, I better fix this and make her happy again.

My heart ached as I listened to my closest friend and, technically, my pet breakdown, all these months of bottling her anger and sadness lead to this, And what makes it worse is she couldn't tell me even if she wanted to. I had to make a telepathic bond with her, It's the least I could do. So the poor girl can talk to at least someone. Even if it is the greasy dungeon bat she has formed a bond with.