Chapter 11 - Skin to feathers

Mai POV:

I stay in my room for the most of it nowadays, softly humming and busying myself with a book, trying my absolute best to finish it before my transformation. But today. Today is different.

My eyes fluttered open and I went to sit up, my body is rather achy and tingly, I shook my head and looked down, realizing I was in my owl form and that it was still relatively late at night. I tried my best to turn back to my human form but to no avail. I was stuck as a black owl with piercing blue eyes. 

Panic rose from deep inside of me and I unfolded my wings. flying out and into the common room, making my way out of the dungeon hallways. Fear taking over and my speed picking up as my wings frantically smashed against the still dead air, propelling my body forward. I rather quickly made my way to Professor Snape's potion room and scratched at the door, trying to push it open to no avail. 

Professor Snape opened the door shortly after and gazed down at me, reaching down and offering his hand, letting me climb on and cling with my talons, his thumb wrapping over my feet and lifting me up. My wings instinctively unfolding to keep my balance and I look at him.

"I guess the day has finally arrived. At 2am" Professor Snape muttered, "Best let Dumbledore know. Come then" He began to walk through the halls and up staircases, keeping a grip on me so I don't fall. 

Professor Snape's POV:

I marched through the hallways and to Albus' door. muttering the password and quickly walking up the stairs and to his office. 

"Albus! It has happened, Mai is" Albus looked at me then Mai.

"An Owl, Yes, We'll have the preparations set up first thing tomorrow morning, let her stay and rest with you tomorrow Severus" Albus cut him off with a warm smile, approaching and gently petting Mai, "She must be tired."

I nodded and gently pet Mai underneath her chin. Unwrapping my thumb from her feet and she made her way up to my shoulder. "I best let her go rest in my potions room" I sighed and turned away, walking out of his office.

Thoughts ran through my mind, I know she'll be staying at Hogwarts now, but I wonder where she'll go when its summer break, where she'll sleep. Albus seems to have all this sorted out but he won't let any of us know just yet. My gaze snapped back to Mai.

"Oh Birdie, If you wish to go somewhere you can, I know Owls are nocturnal" I said. She very quickly nodded and flew off, leaving me alone in the hallway with just my thoughts. 

I stormed back down to my potions room and back to marking as per usual. Leaving my door open so she can fly in if needs be.