Chapter 13 - First day back

Mai POV:

I sat on the railing of a balcony, watching the students flood in and narrows my eyes, looking at the faces walking into Hogwarts, Hardly any noticed me, and the few just shrugged me off. I unfolded my wings and flew off, down the side of the castle and over the heads of students, and to the doors of the grand hall, landing on the arch ways at the very top. 

I watched as students filed in and through the door, under my supervision. I chattered my beak together while students shuffled through, talking to one another about whatever insignificant topic that filled their minds. I already knew Professor Snape would be up front, And I plan to join him up there soon.

My wings shuffled close together as I sat on the archway with a content feeling taking over. The last of the students was shuffling through, and I unfolded my wings and soared down, over the students heads again, causing some to jump and cover their heads, which gave me satisfaction. I soared through the hall.

Professor Snape stood up, whistled and held his hand out, I noticed instantly and flew over, slowing down and tilting my body and reaching my talons out, wrapping around his fingers rather tightly and balancing myself as he wrapped his thumb over my talons. I chirped a hello at him.

"Hello to you too Birdie" He cooed at me and scratched underneath my chin gently, causing me to ruffle my feathers with satisfaction and close my eyes. I backed off a little once he stopped and looked over at the students, my eyes naturally gravitated to the Slytherin table, only then my eyes reach the other tables.

Dumbledore stood up and began his speech, utter nonsense if you ask me, but I have no choice in it.

"And I would like to introduce you to a new staff member" Dumbledore began, My interest peaking because I wasn't informed of a new member of staff, nor did I see a new professor. Dumbledore turned to me and held his hand out for me, which I obediently stood on. "This is our new school mascot, Her name is Mai, I expect you to treat her with respect. She'll come and go from your classes and you'll see her flying around the school." 

I cooed a hello to the crowd before returning to Professor Snape. I looked around again.

"Now, Let the feast begin" Dumbledore said with a smile. food appearing in front of everyone.

Professor Snape picked up a small bit of meat and handed it to me, letting me hold it against his hand and ate it slowly while he also eat his food. This continued for a small bit before I looked out at the students again.

Timeskip

I flew through the halls and down into the dungeons. entering Professor Snape's potion room and landing on one of the owl perches in the room that stood at the front, there was three all together, one at the front and two that stood mounted on either wall. I chirped at him with a smile.

Professor Snape looked at me with a smile and went back to planning for tomorrow. "Good evening to you too Birdie, I presume you'll be flying out soon for your evening fly? Don't hurt yourself this time" 

A soft chuckle was released behind me, causing me to spin around panicked only to see Dumbledore. Smiling.

"Hello you two" He smiles and gently pets me, "I hope you both are doing well tonight, I need to speak to Mai to plan for next year." 

"Already? Don't you think it's too early to think about that Albus?" Professor Snape sighed coolly, turning to him.

"While yes its early. But its my job as the headmaster to keep this school running while also planning ahead for the future" Dumbledore nodded as I stood on his hand and he walked out to talk to me. "You can deny this, you really don't have to do this if you don't want to, But I was thinking perhaps you could deliver the acceptance letter to families of importance in the wizard community, so next year the Malfoys, Parkinsons, Crabbes and Goyles." I nodded understandingly and whistles a response with an affirmative nod.

He let me go and I made my way back to my perch in Professor Snape's room, watching the fish travel past the windows. I cooed happily and flew to the nearest perch, watching them.

"You like watching the fish?" He chuckled and wandered over. "The lake looks really nice this time of day" He sighed and gently pet me.