Chapter 5 - Deal

Dumbledore POV:

I sat in my seat, fingers intertwined in front of my own face as I tried to think of a resolution, there's no way I can simply just let her continue without a plan. multiple idea's rattled through my brain before I finally thought of one.

"Mai?" I gently spoke and continued once the young child looked up at me, wiping the tears from her eyes, "Forgive me if this may sound rude, but I simply cannot live with the fact of you living as a wild owl for the rest of your life once the curse takes over completely, so I may have an alternative you could take if you feel comfortable with taking."

Severus Snape and Minerva McGonagall stood by her side once more to listen to what I say.

"For now, continue your studies, and we'll keep an eye on you. Do you happen to know of when you'll transform permanently?"

She shook her head no but gently spoke, "Not an exact date, but I am assuming either this year or next year. I'm already suffering from the side affects, anything that isn't meat is making me feel sick, I struggle to sleep at night and whenever I look outside while its dark I get an compulsive urge to go out in the dark, I can see better in the dark too"

I nodded gently and thought for a second. "Well, Once you do transform, We offer an option for you to stay as an Owl as Hogwarts main pet and mascot of sorts, you'll get the attention you'll need, a place for you to rest and sleep, all the food you want and the option to attend classes simply to observe and give the Professor, or yourself, company."

Mai looked me dead in the eyes, "I don't want to be a burden on you all though"

"Your not a burden at all dear" Minerva chimed in with, a soft smile on her lips. Mai giving a gentle nod.

"Okay. I'll take you up on your offer" She smiled gently and wiped her eyes again.

I smiled and got up, approaching her. "You'll never be a burden and I promise you we'll take very good care of you once you need to be more dependent on us. You may go now. Minerva, please assist Mai in returning to her common room then go forward with discipline towards the three Gryffindor boys you mentioned earlier, Severus would you please stay behind for a second."

Minerva gave a nod and lead Mai out. Severus staying behind.

"Severus, I expect you to keep a close eye on her, especially at night, I heard you've already seen her outside roaming about, and I would like to hear now if you've found anything"

Severus nodded and put his arms behind his back. "every female on her mother's side of the family seemingly disappears without trace, and with this information we just found out, we can assume they all have transformed into their respective animal and went to live on as said animals without anyone apart from the family knowing, as if it was just their own family secret" 

I nodded and dismissed him. "Look after her, she's scared. I can see in her eyes"

"of course Albus" Severus stated before walking out. 

Timeskip

Mai POV:

I let out a sigh of relief as I walked quietly next to Professor McGonagall, deep in thought. The outcome is a lot better then what I thought it would be. 

"We'll try to set up some meat for breakfast for you, I saw your reaction to the cereal at breakfast today" She chuckled softly as my face flushed.

"That would be nice, I don't think I could live on some pieces of bacon and a couple sausages every day" I smiled softly and she nodded with a smile on her own face.

We reached the Slytherin common room rather quickly and she watched me enter the common room. the painting closed and I curled up on the sofa in front of the roaring fire.