Chapter 16 - Letters

Mai POV:

I feel so guilty, Professor Snape is running around like a headless chicken trying to make a potion that'll give me and the professors an telepathic link. I sat on my perch and just watched him helplessly, cooing every once in awhile in hopes he'll calm down. I'm thankful for everything they've done for me so far and now I feel like I'm just a burden they are trying to keep happy because they pity what I've gone through.

I shook my head and flew out, deciding to go out on a fly to clear my mind. through the corridors and out into the air. It's growing nearer to the end of the year and I'm getting worried, Dumbledore will be wanting me to deliver those letters soon and I'm not even sure I have the metabolism to fly that far like the other owls. I guess it'll be a good break to be out on my own though. 

My eyes snapped to the courtyard. Hagrid and Dumbledore were talking down below. I let out a sigh and flew down, Cooing and whistling as I drew near, letting them know of my presence. 

"Ah, Good Mornin' Mai" Hagrid greeted with a smile like usual, letting me land on his hand and wrapping his thumb round my talons. I balanced properly on his hand before folding my wings in and pressing them against my body rather tightly. I 'Twit twooed' At him as a hello and leaned into his hand when he rubbed my head.

Dumbledore and Hagrid walked down to Hagrid's hut while talking about next year. I listened in curiously, new plans and my interest perked up when Dumbledore mentioned Harry Potter. My gaze snapping directly at Dumbledore when the boy who lived rolled out of his lips.

"Yes, Potter will be arriving next year, Hagrid I would like you to assist the boy in gathering his equipment in Diagon Alley" Dumbledore stated. "Oh you can also pick up. . . you know what. While you're down there" Hagrid just nodded understandingly. My interest peaking even more.

"Oh and Mai, I want you to come to my office later on today to send the first letter. By the time you've finished the letters Severus should have the correct potion made" I nodded gently and stretched my wings before taking off from Hagrid's hand and flying ahead of them to Hagrid's hut, landing on a pumpkin just outside and waiting rather patiently for them. The two older men arriving not too long after.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed quietly as I flew through one of the many open windows and into Dumbledores office, bowing respectfully at Fawkes, Fawkes returning a bow back. Neither would of guessed her and Fawkes would actually get along reasonably well.

"Ah, Good you're here Mai." Dumbledore pulled out a letter with the address written neatly in cursive on the front, He showed me the address and I nodded understandingly, Knowing where I had to go. The Malfoy Manor. Oh boy. "Once you delivered the letter please return so you can have some water and food then go with the next letter." 

I nodded once again and took the letter in my Talon before flying out. Thus beginning my journey as a mail owl.