twenty-nine

Maya Cooper was my best friend before anyone else. The first person I met when we started coming here for the summers.

She and her nearly identical but older brother, Jordan, had matching flaming hair, fair skin that still managed a tan after a little burn, and a new pair of sunglasses nearly every day. She was fabulous.

She started dating Casey and after that, she basically became my sister.

After everything that went down that weekend, things were never the same. We tried, at first. Even I tried, at times it felt like even harder than she did.

But... here we are, years later, face to face and absolutely speechless.

"Dylan!" Jordan's deep voice makes me jump, Brynn's smoothie seeping from the flimsy cover. He leans down and gives me a tense hug. "Didn't know you were back."

I stand on my tiptoes to return the one-armed embrace, my stare never leaving Maya's.

Her brother lets me go and she blinks a couple of times, like she's finally coming out of a bad dream.

Seeing her makes me feel the same way.

"Hey, Dylan. Yeah, we had no idea." She doesn't lean in for a hug.

I appreciate her for that.

"I didn't either." I squint in the sun, wanting desperately out of this conversation.

It feels too close. Too close to that night, everything that happened. To Casey.

I adjust the strap of my tank top, dampening with sweat, and peer up at the siblings uneasily.

"Are you here for the summer, then?" Jordan asks, looking between his sister and me, brows raised.

"I'd hope you'd stay through Summer Bash at least." Maya grins - a smile I've seen before.

A polite smile, one for people she'd rather not be speaking to. I know her well enough to see it. She knows I do. Sweat beads over my neck.

Jordan's face lights up with an oblivious smile. "That's right. Summer Bash was the best. It'll be like old times when we'd all-"

"Jordan." Maya is snippy, keeping him in check like she always has.

My pleasant facade falters slightly as I only just catch my eye roll.

"Actually," I lift the beverage tray. "I'm helping Brynn with the prep this year. Headed there now."

Maya's mouth twitches. She tries her best to hide it with a cordial smirk, but I saw it.

"How fun," She murmurs, glossy lips slightly pursed.

What happened between her and Brynn? I knew I abandoned the group when Casey passed, but I'd always assumed they stayed close.

Why wouldn't they?

"Yep." I nod, still suspicious. "I'll be going, then."

"Of course." Jordan steps aside, waving as he holds the door open for his sister.

"See you around, Dyl." Maya looks me over with a discontent line between her brows before passing through the smoothie shop door.

Taking what feels like the first actual breath since seeing my former friends, I run a hand over my pony tail and trace the leather friendship bracelet around my wrist again and again, trying to steady my shaking hands.

"Okay." I sigh to myself, sparing one last glance into the shop. Watching the two red heads laughing at a table makes my stomach turn.

Not for the first time, the most selfish thing I've ever thought blurs every other idea in my mind, taking over everything inside of me until it's not a thought at all. It's a feeling. Horrible but completely raw emotion.

Why?

Why did it have to be my brother?

Why does Maya get to be here with hers, drinking smoothies, making jokes? Seeing him breathe?

Why did it have to be Casey?

Shame fills me just as instantly. My throat tightens and I take a raspy breath of air, trying to cleanse myself of such a vile notion.

It didn't have to be Casey. But no one deserves this.

I shake my head again and again, rattling the guilt and the pain from my conscious mind.

"Okay." I mutter again, picking up the pace through town, my restlessness marching one foot in front of the other mechanically.

Finding Brynn's house is easy, my feet knowing the steps before I even think of which direction to take. It's keeping my mind clear of the memories that's difficult. Free of speculation, rumination on why Maya reacted so strangely to hearing Brynn's name.

Maybe I could ask. Distract myself from how it felt to see them today.

I'm finally on Brynn's street, a quaint residential road of weathered homes, woodwork showing signs of the sea air after years of standing strong.

Knocking on the door, I shake my head again, almost dizzy now, and wipe beads of sweat from my forehead. Sipping a long chug of my iced tea, I impatiently shift from foot to foot.

Or maybe I could mind my business and just get this Summer Bash shit over with.

I force myself into a faux grin, just in time for Brynn to throw the door open.

"Brynn, hey!" I imitate enthusiasm, returning yet another hug that feels forced and foreign.

Yeah, I conclude to myself, handing over the mango smoothie, Let's just get this shit over with.

Maya and Jordan reactions? 🤔See ya in the comments lovelies

See ya in the comments lovelies. Thanks for reading and remember to vote if you enjoyed' ❤️