ten

"Don't you tell me that Luke drove you home and you didn't even invite him in for supper," Grams is at the doorway as I pass the threshold. Her bony elbow finds its way between my ribs as she peers out the window beside the door.

"He's got his nephew, Grams. They want to go home." I press my fingers to my temples, a headache building. Grams is sort of like the toddlers sometimes. "Thanks for the heads up on that one, by the way."

"I thought you knew." She shrugs casually, continuing her interrogation. "Did you ask?" Grams raises her brows at me before using my arm to balance as she steps through the doorway. Luke is just barely pulling out of the driveway when she calls his name. "Luke, honey! Join us for supper."

Sticking his head out the window, Luke waves the offer off. "That's okay, June. Thank you, I've got to get Finn off to his mom for the weekend."

Admittedly, that piques my interest. At the same time, I feel a breath of relief. Thank God tomorrow is Friday. And thank God Luke has the good sense to turn down Grams' offer.

"That boy must be hungry," Grams argues anyways, her stern authoritative voice coming through. I think I hear Finn shouting hello to Miss June but try to ignore it.

"Grams, come on." I pat her arm and try to coax her back inside. "It is possible to be too hospitable, you know."

"Hush." Grams waves me off, beckoning Luke with the other hand. "Laura won't mind, honey."

When did Grams become so comfy with the Henson's? I wonder for what seems like the millionth time since coming here.

I drop my bag to the floor and walk to the kitchen to get dinner started. As I press the worn keys to preheat the oven for green bean casserole - one of my grandmothers favorites despite the disgusting aroma it gives off, I hear the pitter-patter of small feet running down the hall.

"Miss Dylan!"

Finn wraps himself around my legs at the same time as I ask, "Finn?"

Rubbing his back in slow circles, I peer around the cabinets to see Grams lean in and give Luke a lingering embrace. Heart hammering loudly in my ears with anger, I purposefully knock over a stack of pots and pans, sending a metallic clatter throughout the small house.

"Need help?" Luke is in the kitchen immediately, kneeling to grab hold of a rogue colander.

"I've got it." I snap now that Finn has joined Grams at the table. "What happened to getting Finn to his mom's?"

Luke meets my eyes, a hint of exasperation in his expression. With a sigh, he shrugs. "Too tired to argue with June, I guess."

He places the colander in the cabinet where it belongs; another thing that bothers me - how he just knows where everything goes, where to find all of Grams pills, the way he's so comfortable sitting at the table...

As he pulls back, he lingers, leaning close to my body for just a second. Staring at me intently, his thick brows furrow like he's trying to figure out how to say something.

My heart beats quickly, too quickly, and not because of frustration. Holding my breath, I glare at him in response until he finally breaks into an easy smile, backing up an exaggerated step and relaxing his tense expression.

"Thanks for having us for dinner, Dyl." is all he says before pivoting and making his way back to Finn, shouting for his attention in a wild fit of giggles.

"Whatever," I mutter under my breath. And then louder so that he and Finn can hear me, "I just hope you like green beans."

Thanks for reading loves! More updates very soon! Tension is building between Luke and Dylan!! I hope you're enjoying so far ❤️