CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

My throat felt like the Sahara Dessert as I felt my toes twitch.

The enhanced sound of a constant beeping was almost deafening to my ears, and my nose twitched under the strong smell of hand sanitiser and bleach. My eyes felt glued shut as I tried to open them, and I notice it felt like days since I've used any of my senses.

I tried to shift, tried to move, but a sharp pain in my lower back and waist sent me in a stiffened, still state. I heard myself wince, which only sent more unwanted dry air to my parched throat. I erupted into a series of coughs, and I heard a low gasp near by me as I finally forced my eyes open.

The first thing I was met with, was a bright, white tiled roof. My vision was then invaded by a woman's face and brown curls. I blinked a few times to get my vision clearer, and I eventually, I recognized her as my mother.

"Mom?" I tried to say, but erupted in coughs again due to my throat.

I was grateful when I felt the plastic rim of a bottle being put to my lips, and I greedily gulped it all down, forcing my hand up to even grab it from my mom. I noticed I had a drip in my hand, and I was connected to a machine, which oddly worried me. That's when it all came back. Jason confessing. Mia being caught. An officer stabbing me. How was I even alive?

Nonetheless, it didn't matter. I was just happy to be alive, despite the uncomfortable feeling in my back. I could hear the door opening as I attempted to get up.

I felt starved, my body felt weird, and I couldn't feel all my limbs. It then occured to me that I was stabbed in my back. Could it have damaged my spinal chord and my ability to move? Panic rose in me as I darted my eyes around the room, feeling like I was about to cry.

I wasn't even hearing what my mom was saying--or apologizing about. I just heard 'sorry' a lot, but my brain was still adapting to the environ.

A middle aged man came in my view, and it was quite obvious that he was the doctor. I was relieved and scared at the same time. He was going to answer all my questions. How bad was I? How log was I even out for? I felt like I needed Tristan too. I couldn't shake the disappointment I felt when I saw that he wasn't here.

But then again, I had no clue how long I had been sleeping, and I'm sure he didn't stay here with me 24/7 as it seemed my mom did.

"Hello Cianna. It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Dr. Monroe." He greeted as he approached me with a clipboard and a huge smile. I nodded, since my mind couldn't form words just yet. "I'm just going to do a few tests okay? To see if everything is good with you"

I nodded again before he did simply tests, checking my pulse, listening all over my body with his stethoscope, and shining a light in my eyes. Everything, to him, was okay so far. And I dared myself to ask what the question that had been on my mind for minutes.

"Um..D-Doctor?" I coughed as I regain control over my voice. "I cant feel one of my legs. Is it-will it be permanent? I was stabbed in my back. Does that mean..." I trailed as my eyes watered.

I've seen enough movies to know how dangerous a damaged spinal chord was. But luckily, he offered me a small smile.

"That's normal for someone who has been out that long. Luckily for all of us, the knife was only an inch away from your spine. You got lucky" He explained as I let out a breath I'd been holding. That was good to know.