CHAPTER SEVEN

He was unsettlingly silent after such a confession, making me feel like I shouldn't have said anything at all.

Maybe I waited too long to give him an answer. Maybe he didn't want this anymore and I lost my chance. Who knows? Maybe he found another woman in the time he gave me to 'think'. I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised. He is, after all, gorgeous.

"Tristan?" I called softly, not liking his silence. He shook his head once as if clearing his head. He shot me a quick nervous smile before refocusing on the road.

"Yea sorry I was just processing" He chuckled lightly. "I'm just surprised you decided so quickly that's all."

"Well after almost dying or being the target at least, I've noticed that I shouldn't be focusing on the what ifs and just go for what I want. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't want you." A blush crept up my cheek as I ended, and luckily he was driving so he didn't see.

He reached for my hand and held it tightly in his. He quickly glanced at me with an admiring smile before speaking again. "I do too"

I sighed in content as my focus was drawn to the huge white building, marking our destination. My attention was now focused on seeing the angel that saved my life as we pulled into the parking lot.

I spotted Emily just getting out of my car, so I hopped out of Tristan's high vehicle and headed over to her.

Nervously, I walked into the huge white building that smelled like hand sanitizer and bleach. Tristan was right behind us as we entered, and I quickly asked for the girl that was brought in with a bullet wound.

Apparently, she was in surgery, so we had to wait. I learnt that her name is Jessica McKenzie. She's just nineteen years old and she flew in from Texas to go to school here at Stanford.

That meant her family wouldn't arrive for a few hours at least. No one else came to visit her, so I assumed that either her friends weren't at the party, or they didn't know that she was caught in the cross fire.

I wanted to focus on where Tristan and I would go from here, but all I could think about was the nineteen year old college student that took a bullet for me.

She was here because some crazy woman tried to kill me. She didn't deserve this. I just prayed that she was okay, because I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to her.

I laid my head on Emily's shoulder as we sat and waited. My eyes got droopy, but I dared not to close them. Ever so often when I heard footsteps, I would perk up at the sound, hoping that it was a doctor with good news. However, we sat there for over forty minutes waiting for news.

Another hour had passed before we were informed that the surgery was over; we only had to wait until she woke up from anesthesia. Tristan left to get us coffee, and Emily and I engaged in random conversation, since we were feeling better about Jessica's surgery.

"So Jake really told the lecturer to lick his balls?" I laughed, still trying to understand what Emily was telling me. That Jack, always a rascal.

"Yep" She struggled to say through her laughter. "Then he just got up and left the the room. Haven't seen him since" She ended and we both erupted in quiet giggles.

"Okay ladies... One cappuccino for mah lady" Tristan interrupted as he handed me my second favourite thing in the world. I moaned at the very scent of the beverage. "And one Espresso for madam smiles a lot, extra milk" He winked, handing Emily her cup.