seventeen

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

"What are you actually up to? There must've been a reason you just showed up." I asked, noticing the small smile that had been on his lips the entire drive.

Wolf shrugged, taking a turn to go up a hill. My curiosity only grew and I turned my head to watch the trees go by us in a blur.

We drove for another five minutes before he eventually stopped the car, taking his keys out of the ignition. I stepped out of the car as he opened the door for me, noticing the view of New York in front of us.

My lips parted in awe at the city which now looked so small from where we were standing. I let my eyes scan the area, pinpointing all the places I'd been since I arrived here the previous week.

"It's amazing." I glanced at Wolf  who sent me a quick smile before continuing to look out. He had managed to take my mind off Xander for at least a while.

"This isn't the only reason I brought you here." He told me and I furrowed my brows before hearing another voice.

"What's up Gollum?"

Shock flowed through me as I stood still, not daring to turn around. What if I'm dreaming? It was questionable after all. I felt someone grab my hand and as sparks travelled up my arm, I knew instantly who it was. Wolf turned me around, my eyes moving from the ground to see the person I hadn't expected to see until at least next year.

"Cairo."

My voice was barely above a whisper but as soon as I registered that I wasn't dreaming, I was moving forward. Tears appeared at the corners of my eyes as I wrapped my arms around my brother tightly.

He hugged me back, chuckling when he realized I wasn't going to let go for a while.

"I missed you." I mumbled into his shoulder.

"I missed you too." He smiled, pulling me back. I glanced up at him, blinking the tears in my eyes away and returning the half smile.

"Really feeling the love over here."

I turned to see Wolf leaning against the hood of his car, smirking. We both gave him a bored look before Cairo ruffled my hair.

This is the part I didn't miss. Why did life have to torcher me by giving me four brothers. Why couldn't I have had at least one sister?

"How come you didn't ask to bring Remi, Nix and Xander?" I questioned before realizing the stupidity of it.

Cairo raised his eyebrows, "Would they get into a car with Wolf? I wasn't aware before but now I can organize a trip to the beach where we'll all be together. Cramped in a car with the people we love so dearly."

I smacked his arm and he laughed, walking over to Wolf and giving him a quick hug before they conversed. Cairo and Wolf had been best friends since we were all aloud to train together. Even the others got along with him, until last year, obviously.

"So, about that bullet." I almost choked on air at Cairo's words when I came to stand next to them. I looked at Wolf quickly before returning to look wide eyed at my brother.

"Oh, you didn't think I knew." He voiced and I nodded slowly, still in shock.

What was even weirder was the fact Cairo didn't even seem angry. He hugged Wolf, when the others had done everything possible to murder him. I was confused until I noticed the dark bruise of Wolf's cheek that I had failed to see due to the minimal amount of light.

"He told me everything the day after it happened and I looked into it. It was only partly his fault and considering Xander is on a mission to kill him, I figured a broken nose would do." My brother explained, content.

"Oh," I took in the information. Wolf had told Cairo everything the day after, it happened, "Wait, did you ask him to leave?" I couldn't stop the question as it slipped past my lips.

Cairo shook his head. So he did it on his own.

"By the way, how's your 'secret' relationship going?" Cairo grinned upon seeing our calm expressions morph into horror.

"W- what? How did- what the fuck?" I rambled mindlessly.

My brother just laughed and rolled his eyes dismissively.

"I know because you two are dumb fucking idiots. You really thought I didn't know my best friend and sister well enough? Also it's not that hard to guess when Jonathan use to keep us apart and I saw you launching paper balls through the vents that lead directly to our rooms. Just to add to that, Wolf is six foot six. He used to walk past the classroom door and then you would immediately make an excuse to use the toilet or something."

My eyes were wide and my lips were parted when he finished explaining how dumb we were. I should've remembered my brother was the most observant person ever.

"You're not mad then? When Xander found out he tried to break my legs when I was sleeping." Wolf recovered quickly remembering that time. Needless to say it was Xander who ended up with a fractured knee.

Cairo frowned, "Who did you think stole your homework for four weeks straight? What about that time the door magically closed on your hand and broke it?" He directed the homework part on me and I remembered the time Wolf's automatic door malfunctioned and slammed shut on his hand.

We both scowled at Cairo. I spent ages on those essays and got moved into the lowest class because my grades dropped.

He just smiled brightly at us and went to sit down on the grass, looking at the view. We sat down next to him and I decided to tell him about the deal I made with Xander.

"I managed to get Xander to stop trying to kill Wolf, but in return I have to stay away from him." I waited for some advice.

"That's your problem now, isn't it little sister."

I rolled my eyes at him and admired how the lights in the city never seemed to dim. My head fell comfortably onto Wolf's shoulder until Cairo wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me away slowly.

We both glanced at him and he shrugged, "Never said I wasn't still pissed at you."

At least he isn't trying to kill him. Noticing that I switched shoulders, resting my head on my brothers.

"By the way we have around thirty or more family members, are you ready to meet them?"