twenty four

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

It can't go that badly. I recited the words in my head for the entirety of the drive while I let myself relax. The wind brushed my hair away from my face and I watched as the city lights illuminated the pier.

It was quiet, almost like there was a chance to savor the emptiness before it would only be a mix of gunshots and blood. I didn't know how hard it would be to get to the container but either way I wasn't sure I wanted to try and get to the last base.

"Ready?" Phoenix asked, opening the passenger door for me. I took a deep breath before nodding and stepping out of the car. It can't go that badly.

The docks were empty as it was always advised to never be here after dark. Phoenix gave me a look to reassure us both and we began looking around for container 34. The wood creaked under our feet and sand slipped through the cracks.

"There." Phoenix grabbed my hand, turning me around and my eyes found the number on top of the dark red container. 34. By now it was just eerily quiet, much to calm for my liking.

I inhaled, moving my butterfly knives between my fingers and watching as Phoenix pulled a gun out from his waistband. At least we're a hot duo.

"I know right." Phoe grinned, placing his hand on the bar and lifting it up to open the two doors. His gun was drawn as soon as the doors were fully open and I waited for something to happen.

He gave me a confused look when we noticed no one was inside and I returned it, stepping into the container and glancing around. Instead of silence there was a rhythmic beep but I didn't know where it was coming from.

Something clicked inside of me and I turned to Phoenix, "What makes that sound?"

He seemed deep in thought for a few seconds, before his eyes landed on something in the corner of the container. He pulled the small hatch up and we were met with a timer of five seconds.

Before I could process what was happening Phoenix had taken hold of my arm and was running out with me by his side. It finally made sense and mentally cursed Jaden out as we bolted towards the pier.

As soon as I jumped I felt the force of the explosion push me forward and within seconds I was submerged in water. I pushed myself to the surface, trying to get a breath in and stop coughing.

My eyes searched the water for Phoenix but I couldn't see him, only parts of the container with flames enveloping them.

Come on, your name is Phoenix. Aren't you supposed to rise from the ashes or something.