nineteen

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

My eyes set on my bedroom door at the end of the hallway and I got ready to bolt past everyone else's room. Phoenix's eyes glinted in amusement as I grabbed his hand and ran without a second thought, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Almost-

"Carter, who's this?" I stopped in my tracks, eyes squeezing shut in annoyance.

I turned around and let go of his hand, thankful it was only Alessia and not any other member of my family. I hoped she would be easy to convince.

"It's just for an english project I promise, we have to study here." I explained truthfully, watching a sly smile pull at her lips.

She folded her arms across her chest, eyes narrowing in concentration.

"I'm completely fine with this- I mean, even if it wasn't a study project I still wouldn't tell anyone, " She paused and I thought that was it, "But I can get snacks out of this, so, pay up. How many fruit gummies for my silence?"

I face palmed, glancing back at Phoenix who was caught up in something on his phone. He looked up when I kicked his shin and pulled a face at me.

"Be gone, start the project. While I negotiate with my cousin." Alessia grinned and Phoenix headed into my bedroom.

"Two large packs."

She clicked her tongue, "No deal."

"Four." I reasoned.

She moved her raven hair behind her ear, "I swear I can hear someone coming, what should I say? Carter has brought the enemies son into the house."

He may have been the enemies son. But my parents had many enemies in the past, and Phoenix wasn't the son we had to worry about. I wish I'd known that sooner.

I stuck my tongue out at her and she mirrored it.

"Six, that's it." I said finally.

Her eyes stayed narrowed before she smiled brightly like she wasn't about to be the reason for my death and hugged me.

"Nice doing business with you. Love you Cart." With that she was gone, humming the beat to an Arctic Monkeys song.

I think I just aged ten years.

When I entered my room Phoenix was sat on my desk chair, spinning around while tapping away at his phone. I realized I would probably be doing this project on my own.

"Did you get snacks?"

I chucked a jar of Nutella at him which he caught and then a spoon that hit him in the head. He thanked me after calling me a bitch and went back to his phone.

"To think I ever liked you." I muttered, grabbing a pen and starting to write some notes on the topic.

"You liked me?" Fuck sake, apparently he heard.