twenty three

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

After Felix left I decided to go to bed, the events of the previous night catching up to me and I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow. The next day no one woke me up for school so I guess they figured I needed it.

It was hard to know who to trust, everyone seemed the same. But one of them was behind something that hurt a lot of people. They must've done it for so long they didn't think anyone would care anymore.

My fingers tapped against the bed as I reread the three letters. Most of it was about preventing Felix's death but I wanted to see if I could find out something else. Anything, else.

I was going to Atlantic City tomorrow and despite my protests, Phoenix had already agreed to come. I eventually gave up reading and rested my head in my hands.

If I ever meet Jaden I'm going to punch him for making me overthink my entire life.

"Carter." My bedroom door began opening and I quickly stuffed the three pieces of paper and two photos under the bed.

Remi walked in with a smile, "We're kidnapping you because you look like you haven't had fun in years."

"What a nice compliment." I told him in time to see Nix enter the room as well.

He held out a box towards me and after reminding myself that if I didn't get out I'd just be left to my own thoughts, I took it.

Remi and Nix shared a triumphant smile when I opened the box and saw my roller skates from when I was around eleven. I had always wanted to learn so Cairo spent the money he had worked for on buying them for me. He wouldn't take them back to the store even after I told him there were more important things he could buy so I started learning.

I became pretty good at it fast so when Remi and Nix had money, they bought some for themselves. Cairo did as well and they were all really good. Xander complained about being left out and bought some himself but never quite got the hang of it.

"Now that you've reunited, we're going out. Do you have any idea how long it took us to convince Xander to come with us?" Remi asked, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of my room.

When we made it downstairs, Cairo and Xander we're already waiting by the door, roller skates tucked under their arms. Needless to say, Xander did not look pleased.

"Where are you guys going?" Damon asked when we passed him, eyes narrowed.

"Out. We'd invite you but unfortunately I don't think you have the brain capacity for actual fun." Nix responded, sending him a reassuring smile.