thirty three

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

One week later...

I sat down next to Jaden in the living room as my mom prepared to talk. She had asked all of us to be here, other than dad because they weren't currently on speaking terms.

The burns I had gotten from the fire were fading but there would always be a reminder of what happened. What happened to my cousin. How my uncle was responsible. And how my best friend had died hours prior.

We hadn't gone back to school and we were living in Zane's house he had originally bought for him, Emily and the kids. They were divorcing and Brinley was being more rude than ever but I couldn't blame her or be mad at her.

"This is going to be hard for all of us," Mom began, "But it needs to happen."

I frowned, sharing a confused look with my brothers just as Alexander started speaking.

"We can't live here forever and you guys can't go back to school after everything so...we're moving to Washington. We'll be close to Eliza and Ezekiel so you kids will be able to visit them anytime. Also, there's a private academy there, albeit it's a bit too preppy but that means nothing can go wrong." He explained and my jaw dropped.

Dante's academy is preppy, how much more preppy can a school get? I guess he's right about nothing being able to go wrong though. We're past what happened, mostly, and I think things can only get better from here.

The rest of us reluctantly nodded, knowing it would be a big change. I thought about Felix and Jaden. Jaden and I had been getting closer every day and before I got discharged he was always with me at the hospital.

Felix had come to see me as well but only to say he was moving in with his aunt for a few months. He also told me that if I wanted to be with Jaden he didn't want to stand between us. Felix was honestly too good for me. He deserved someone better, so I let him go.

"When are we leaving?" Cairo asked Alex.

"In a month. The school you're going to is Branson Private Academy." We nodded in response again, dispersing to head up to our rooms.

I pulled Jaden outside, sitting down next to him on the grass while the sun beamed down at us, making some sort of content feeling pass through me. I imagined Phoenix was sitting on the other side of me, complaining about how the sun was hurting his eyes while he squinted dramatically to prove his point.

Jaden propped himself up on his elbows and I moved to sit between his legs, resting my head back against his chest.

"What do you think will happen now?" He asked, running his hands through my hair.

I smiled softly, "I'm not sure, but things can only get better right?"

He leaned down, placing a kiss on my temple before wrapping his arms around my waist, "Yeah."

Four months later...

I shook Brinley frantically, getting her to stop crying. She looked down at our hands that were both covered in blood before her eyes found the others that were still digging.

The grave was deep enough now and I pulled her up with me, letting her stand with Ezekiel as I went over to Eliza. She looked at her nails with a frown, scoffing at the broken one.

"This isn't how I planned to start my summer but let's go for it." She told me sarcastically, wrapping her hands around Dalton's legs and lifting him. I grabbed his arms, helping her.

We carried him over to the relatively decent sized grave, holding him above it before we got the nod of approval we needed. At that, we dropped him in, watching the soil cover him slightly.

Jaden grabbed the shovel, sticking it into the bundle of soil that was next to him and taking a deep breath before letting it fall over our supposed friend. He continued the process until Dalton was completely gone, buried beneath us in the forest.

Cairo threw his jacket into the fire, letting it go up in flames while Aaliyah sat on the log behind him, arms wrapped around herself. I noticed Xander trying to calm Rosalie down a bit away and I straightened myself up.

Remi grabbed the gasoline canister and I picked the discarded gun up from the floor, paying no mind to the way my hand was shaking. Once everyone was together again we started walking back to the main road.

"He had it coming." Jaden assured me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

I nodded slowly, trying not to fall as I took every step through the woods carefully, not looking back. When we made it back to the road Remi threw the remainder of the gasoline on the car before taking his phone out.

Nix lit the flame, taking one last look at Reid who wasn't breathing in the passenger seat before throwing it through the window.

The car went up in flames and Remi put the phone on speaker just as 911 answered.

"911, what's the emergency."

Remi sighed, "There's been an accident..."

This chapter was going to come out sooner but I had to deal with my friend dropping her mirror on herself at 4am so it took some time. Also, if you saw the comments from the previous chapter, I apologize for the scarring experience :')

In other news though I hope you enjoyed reading this book and thank you so much for all of the support, 'Chaos' was in Trending, recently!! If it wasn't for you guys I probably wouldn't have kept up writing but you really inspired me and I can't wait for the final book!

I'll be doing an FAQ on my Instagram if you want to ask any questions :) the link is on my profile♡