twenty six

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

Phoenix unlocked the motel door on the fifth floor, letting Blaze enter first before he turned back to me. Shock was still evident in his eyes but I knew he wanted time to speak with him alone.

"Are you coming in?" He asked, glancing back to Blaze who was sat down on the edge of the first bed.

I shook my head, "You should talk to him, I need some air anyway."

Phoenix nodded, closing the door softly behind him. I sighed, running a hand over my face and aimlessly walking around to the back of the floor where I guessed there would be a balcony.

When I found it I rested my arms on the banister, watching the cars below drive by. I felt like I could finally breathe without having added weight on my chest from everything I had found out all in the process of a few days.

I barely noticed when someone came to stand a few feet away from me, lighting up a cigarette and taking a drag. I glanced at the man who was wearing a black leather jacket with ripped jeans and a white shirt, the random thought that he was good looking coming to mind.

His hair was dark brown, falling into his calculating amber eyes sightly. He obviously felt my eyes on him and he looked down at me, offering the cigarette.

After everything that had happened I needed the burning sensation in my lungs so I took it from him, placing it between my lips.

Once I had took a drag I noticed him reach into his pocket, pulling out an all familiar folded piece of paper.

I huffed, taking it from him and directed my eyes on the two words at the end of the letter, Sincerely, Jaden :(

"That suits the situation better." I smiled.

"If I knew the emoji meant that much to you I might've changed it sooner." My head snapped up to him as the single letter registered in my head. I.

"Jaden?" I asked, taking a longer drag from the cigarette before crushing it under my foot.

He nodded once and I felt the weight return to my chest. He was the reason I had to go on this truth searching catastrophe mission in the first place. If I hadn't gotten that first letter then everything would still be fine. I would be able to trust my family even if they were liars. Being in the dark was better than knowing what I know now.

Anger pulsed through me and I raised my hands to shove him, most of the built up frustration going into that. I didn't get far though as his hands wrapped around my wrists and my back hit the banister behind me.

I scowled up at him but his expression just remained blank until he finally let go, moving to where he had originally stood.

"It wouldn't have benefited you, still being in the dark. The truth was bound to come out someday and how would you feel then, when you could've stopped everything that was happening behind your back?" His eyes focused on the road below and even though I wanted to, I couldn't argue with him.