Mixed signals ~ Natasha Romanoff

"Training in 10." The redhead shouted at me as she walked out of the kitchen, leaving me to finish my breakfast with Steve. I sighed and walked to the sink with my bowl. "She hates me." I muttered to him as I cleaned it under the tap. He joined me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "She opens up after a while." He said.

I turned to look at him. "I've been here for a year and the most she has said to me is when training starts or what I'm doing wrong. She hates me." I chucked my bowl back into the cupboard and headed to my room.

I quickly changed into leggings and a sports bra, tied my hair in a ponytail and slipped my feet into my trainers. When I arrived into the training room, Natasha was at the punchbag, clearly taking out some built up anger on it.

"Your late." She remarked without even turning to look at me. I grabbed boxing gloves and trained on the punchbag beside her. I could feel her eyes burning into me as I extended my arms, making contact with it. After ten minutes she stopped, which grabbed my attention but I did not falter from my punches.

"In the ring." She instructed as she stepped into the boxing ring. I made my way over, slipping between the ropes gracefully to stand opposite her. I got into a fighting stance and waited. Sure enough, she threw the first punch, which I blocked and countered. She grabbed my arm and threw me over her shoulder so I landed on the mat with her on one knee above me.

I kicked her knee out from under her so she fell on top of me, just catching herself in time so she didn't make contact. I switched tactics. Grabbing her hips, I pulled her down and closer to me, to which I was expecting a painful counter attack, but I never received it. Instead she lingered over me and her breath hitched when I ran my hand across her waist to her back.

She froze. Natasha never froze. But for some reason she didn't move, giving me the perfect opportunity to slip out from underneath her and twist her arm into a shoulder lock. Normally she would get out of it easily, leaving me with a sore ass but today she tapped out.

I let go of her hand and she slipped out of the ring swiftly and headed to the door. "What about training?" I shouted but she was gone. What was that all about?

It was three days later when I saw her next. She had been avoiding me and I wanted to know why. She walked into the kitchen but when her eyes landed on me, she turned on her heel and walked out. I ran after her down the hallway, calling her name.

She kept walking until I caught up to her and grabbed her shoulder softly to stop her, which she quickly brushed off. "Why are you avoiding me?!" I question and waited as she turned to face me and looked down at her feet. "I'm not avoiding you." She told me with an emotionless voice and looked up to reveal a blank face.

"We both know that isn't true. I mean, I know you hated me before but why are you ignoring me?" I interrogated. She scoffed and shook her head, "I don't hate you. That's the problem." I raised my eyebrow.

"What is that supposed to mean?!" I quizzed again, trying to get her to spill. She just sighed. "Everyone loves you y/n. Every single person in this building knows and likes you. You make time for everyone and say 'hi' to every person you walk past. You light up every room you walk into and somehow you know everyone's names, even the cleaning ladies. You're pure. I keep trying to find something to hate about you BUT I CANT." She was almost shouting by the end.

I stood there wide-eyed and tilted my head, trying to process everything she was telling me. "I want to hate you y/n. And I hate that I don't. I can't help but like you." She said with a sigh. I stood there in disbelief at what I was hearing. "But you...you don't even speak to me..." I said with a frown, looking into the distance, trying to understand.

"You don't get it. You're open, and share with people easily. You're an open book, but I'm locked closed and the key's been thrown out. People go quiet when I walk into the room, I don't try to intimidate people but I do. You can show your love but it isn't as easy with me." You nodded as you looked into her emerald eyes. She really was just spilling everything.

"God, why am I even telling you this? I didn't mean to burden you." She muttered and brought her hands to her face as she centred herself. I placed my hands on hers and slowly lifted them off her face so that they were now resting by her sides. I then placed my hands on her cheeks, taking in all her features.

I leaned in and placed my lips on hers in a sweet kiss that only lasted a few seconds before pulling away and resting my forehead on hers. "I can handle it." I told her with a smile.

I cannot believe this book has almost been read 5k times. I honestly never expected it. Thank you sm x