Fateful Encounter

Shaugn sat up straighter as an image of a young man wearing tattered blue robes crashing through the bushes came to his mind. Lately, the acquired memories no longer gave him a headache. He closed his eyes to watch the memory as Kazim and Akechi's voices faded in the background.

A younger Shaugn and an older man that looked like him were collecting herbs in the forests away from the capital city. It had been a quiet morning, the dew still wet on the leaves. He and his father were working in silence while the birds chittered away in the branches above. They ignored the rustling of leaves thinking it was an animal running through the brush. The noise grew louder and closer making the two men look up.

A young man crashed through the greenery scaring them half to death. The young man raised a sword with shaky hands. Shaugn gripped the shears in his hand ready to brandish it if this person posed any real harm to him and his father.

"Relax," his father said with a calming voice. "We're just gathering herbs. We mean you no harm."

Relief filled the young man's eyes and his arms fell limp to his sides. Before Shaugn could say anything, the young man sank to his knees and fell to the ground. His blue robes darkened with blood as it stained the ground beneath him. Shaugn and his father were momentarily shocked at what just happened. Never did they expect to find an injured person so far from the capital. They rushed over to assess the young man's injuries.

The first things they noticed were the bruises and a bleeding gash under one eye. Defensive wounds covered his hands and arms. Whoever this was, their attacker wanted their life. They decided to carry him back to their campsite a mile away.

His father took out a set of needles and stuck them into the young man's body. Then he crossed the young man's arms over his chest as Shaugn laid out a blanket to lay him on. The young man's face was getting whiter by the moment.

"Do you think we can save him?" Shaugn asked as he lifted one end of the blanket. Despite his young age, the man was heavier than he appeared. Shaugn guessed he must be a warrior of some kind with strong muscles beneath his clothing.

Shaugn's father lifted the other end and they began their way back to the campsite. "We'll do our best."

They made quick work getting back and laid him on one of the cots. When Shaugn's father removed the robes, they found the young man was covered in sword wounds and bruises. He had several deep gashes and a severe puncture on one side. A broken arrow was lodged in his side. It was by miracle his organs had been avoided. They'd cleaned the man up and addressed his injuries. Shaugn stitched some of the shallower wounds while his father did the more severe. They applied herbs to the wounds to prevent infection and aid healing.

For three days and nights the young man had a high fever and remained unconscious. Shaugn stayed behind to watch over the young man while his father went to collect herbs and wild edibles. The young man's fever became dangerously high the fourth day and Shaugn was constantly wiping him down and feeding him water and medicine. The young man was delirious and often talked in his sleep of the former emperor and the crown prince. He would even mention the emperor of another kingdom and talk of conspiracies. Shaugn deduced that this must have been someone of the imperial family. There wasn't anything to identify him so he could only guess and pull out all stops to keep the young man alive.

On the fifth day, the young man was deathly pale and quiet. Shaugn nearly panicked thinking he was dead. Barely shallow breaths let him know the young man was still of this plane. He prepared more medicines and fed the young man like a mother bird feeding her chicks. When his father returned, he stuck several needles into the young man's body and redressed all of his wounds. It was a waiting game.

"If he has the will, he'll make it," Shaugn's father said on the sixth day before heading out to gather herbs deeper in the forest.

Shaugn had just finished fixing his medicine when he turned and saw wary green eyes watching him. He gave the young man a smile but stayed where he was. "Nice to see you awake. My name is Shaugn Nenih, son of Po Nenih and Bella Jomo. I am a physician. My father and I found you in the forest."

"Where-" a violent cough cut off his voice. The young man groaned and touched his side.

Shaugn walked over and handed him a cup of water to soothe his throat. The young man raised up enough to guzzle down the water. When he was finished, it was as if his strength was sapped and he fell back. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The young man looked around the small tent. "Where are we?"

"In the forest just on the outskirts of Mlima." Shaugn poured himself a tea and sat next to the bed.

The young man sighed with relief. "Thank you for saving me. I didn't think I'd make it."

Shaugn smiled. "You almost didn't. You were bleeding profusely and you caught a fever. My father and I used a lot of herbs and medicines to heal you."

The young man grinned widely. "My apologies. I'll make sure you're well compensated when I return."

"It's no bother."

With much effort, the young man propped himself up on one elbow. "My name is Xoan Longwei, son of Tau Longwei and Adda Taan."

Shaugn paused from taking a sip and nodded. Inwardly he was freaking out. He and his father had saved the emperor himself! What if they had ignored him when he came crashing through the forest? They'd be guilty of killing the emperor.

He patted his beating heart. Thank the goddess they were people with principles that couldn't stand to see people hurting.

He started to stand and bow. "Forgive my rudeness, your majesty-"

Xoan stopped him. "Don't."

"But-"

"I don't know if those people that attacked me and my emperor cousin are still out there. I'd rather you just act as if I was just another person in the world."

That was reasonable. Shaugn nodded. "As you wish."

Xoan looked around their tent. "Do you have any extra clothes?"

"Yes." Shaugn retrieved his pack in the corner to fish out a beige kurta and a pair of matching linen pants. He thought of the emperor's ruined clothes. "Um...I'm sorry these clothes are so coarse and unrefined, sir."

A smile lifted Xoan's lips as he reached for them. "Are they yours?"

"Yes."

He held the bundle under his nose and inhaled. "They smell nice."

Shaugn looked down at the floor to hide his smile. "Thank you."

Xoan reached over and grabbed his hand. A softkiss was placed on his knuckles as Xoan looked up at him with shining greeneyes. "No. Thank you for everything you've done for me." 

*What a humble emperor 😊

**Because this world is comprised of people from all over the place, the names come from African, Asian, Middle-Eastern names or a mashup.

***Pronunciation

Nenih (Neh-nee)