Dagaslan

Shaugn awoke to an empty room. It wasn't unusual. Xoan usually rose before he did and went to train before coming back to change and go to court. Akechi was setting out his breakfast while Kazim set out his clothes and accessories for the day.

"Good morning, your majesty."

"Morning, majesty."

"Good morning." Shaugn stretched and got out of bed. Though he could walk without help, his muscles were still weak and he had to walk slow. He'd been shocked to find out OG Shaugn had been bedridden for almost a month when he arrived. Muscle atrophy was to be expected. After breakfast, he worked with Radagar to strengthen his legs and upper body strength.

All of this was against the physician's orders and under the emperor's nose. A man of a more advanced medical age, Shaugn knew what his body needed. He'd broken his leg once in high school and knew that moving and training the muscles was essential to getting back to normal.

After handling his morning routine, he got dressed and sat down to have breakfast. He rolled his eyes at the rice porridge and fruit in front of him. Now that he was going to be the empress for real, he was going to get some oats and wheat brought in. This rice porridge every other day was for the birds. What he wouldn't give for some oatmeal with honey and cinnamon or a bowl of Frosted Flakes. 

He sighed. "Where can I find the nearest temple?"

Akechi looked up from making the bed. "You're going to pray, majesty?"

He snorted to himself. Not that he wasn't into religion, he just didn't feel the need to pray all the time for every little thing. He gave an innocent smile and shoveled the runny mix into his mouth. "I should give thanks I woke up finally."

Kazim smiled. "There's no need to go to the temple. The priest will be happy to come visit."

Akechi nodded. "He prayed for you while you were bedridden."

"He even left a talisman for you there," Kazim picked up a small carnelian stone on Xoan's bedside table and handed it to him. Shaugn's eyes bugged out of his head and he began choking on his breakfast.

Son of a bitch!

Carved into the stone was a cougar's face. Shaugn turned the stone over a few times and noticed the color of the stone was similar to the cougar's pelt that attacked him. What kind of freaky coincidence was this? Were the heavens mocking him for being a faithless heathen?

"Are you okay, majesty?" Akechi handed him a glass of water.

"I'm fine. Thank you." He rubbed the surface of the stone talisman with his thumb and stared off into space. Why was he seeing this thing at every turn? Was the cougar important? Was it just a coincidence? Who was this priest and why give him a stone with a cougar on it?

Kazim waved his hand in front of Shaugn's face. "Your majesty?"

Shaugn retracted his gaze and looked over at the older man. "You say the priest came here?"

He nodded. "A few times."

Putting the stone on the table, Shaugn picked up a bun and bit into it. "Send for him. I should...thank him for his prayers and his special gift."

Kazim opened the bedroom door and took a slender, silver tube out of his pocket. Putting it to his lips, he took a deep breath and blew into it. 

Shaugn raised a brow in curiosity. What on earth was that for? A few moments later his question was answered. Shaugn screeched and flipped the table in a mad scramble to climb seven-foot Radagar like a tree.