A Negotiation

Shaugn sat upright with a gasp. His heart pounded in his chest as if he'd just run a marathon. He clutched his damp shirt to his chest and tried to steady his breathing. The bed shifted beside him and the lamp beside the bed was lit. He closed his eyes and counted in his head to calm himself down.

What the hell was that?

"Zinzin, another bad dream?"

Shaugn shook his head as his hand trembled. How could he tell Xoan he'd dreamt of his real spouse who had passed on? How could he tell him that he was now in the OG Shaugn's place forever? 

What would he think? His soul had been swapped with his real spouse's. Would they think he was possessed or evil? Would they burn him at the stake? Would Xoan think he was crazy? 

Hell, Shaugn was beginning to think he was going crazy.

Xoan wiped the moisture off his face and looked at him with worried eyes. "Speak to me. What's wrong?"

"I..." he thought of OG Shaugn's words. He gave his blessing for Shaugn to be here and live on in his place. He took a deep breath in and let it out.

"Nothing. I'm fine." Shaugn opened his eyes and looked at Xoan. "I'm fine now. Go back to sleep." He turned on his side to lay down and pulled the blankets over himself. He couldn't explain what had happened in his dream. Not yet at least. He needed to find this Daga person and talk to the priest. He shivered as the blanket was pulled off of him. Before he could whine, he was lifted up like a damsel.

Reflexively, his arms wrapped around a sturdy neck. "Xoan! What are you doing?"

Xoan kissed the side of his head and strode toward the bathroom. "You need to wash the sweat off and change into dry clothes otherwise you'll catch a cold."

He clutched two handfuls of silky black hair and pulled. "I can walk, you know," he said through clenched teeth.

A smile touched Xoan's lips at Shaugn's little attack. "Mmhm. I just like to carry you around."

Shaugn shook his head. Xoan was just too smitten. He didn't protest as they were both stripped down and sat in the large bathing pool together. Shaugn had to give it to the ancients of this time and space. They always had hot water.

Xoan pulled Shaugn to sit in between his legs with Shaugn's back to his chest. Even though OG said it was okay, this was way more intimate than he was used to. Shaugn tried to pull away but ended up being pulled onto Xoan's lap with strong arms around his stomach. Xoan's breath tickled his ear making him shiver.

"Why are you so resistant to being held by me?"

Shaugn fumbled for an excuse. "I just...um..." Warm lips pressed to his shoulder.

"When I find out who did this to you, they are going to get more than a bump on the head."

"Don't bother with that person. They failed to kill me." Shaugn smirked to himself. Not to mention, he had plans for that person when he found out who it was.

"They won't get another chance." He sighed. "You still don't remember anything?" Xoan picked up the washcloth and began to wipe down his body.

Shaugn shook his head. "Every time I see their face in my mind and try to focus on the details, their image disappears. Like smoke and I get a headache." He took a shuddering breath as the washrag grazed one of his nipples. What was the man trying to do?

"Mmm." Xoan's hands slid down his torso and rested on his belly. Shaugn felt a flush all over his skin and put his hands on top of the emperor's.

"Xoan, I-"