Man to Men

"That was beautifully handled, your majesty."

"I don't think the consorts have ever had such a day."

"Their behavior is disgusting. They aren't worthy of this palace."

Shaugn chuckled to himself as Radagar, Akechi, and Kazim chattered around him. The petty part of him felt a sense of satisfaction humiliating the consorts for all to see. They'd been arrogant for too long. Now everyone knew that he knew about all their dirty little tricks and secrets. He wasn't going to stand for it any longer.

He took his annoying headpiece off. "Call the odali over to the living room. I wish to discuss somethings with her regarding the harem."

"Yes, your majesty," Akechi saluted and hustled off.

"Kazim, go to the male consorts. Tell them they are to join me for dinner tonight."

The older man gave a slight pause. "Yes, your majesty."

"Radagar, make sure you have someone report to me daily on the happenings in the nursery. I also want someone to stare at the men in secret. If there is something important, notify me immediately."

Radagar looked at the second in charge. The man gave a salute and hustled out of formation. They entered the living room of his palace and acknowledged all the waiting servants before sitting in his seat. Carlo and two servants stood by awaiting orders.

Fluffing a pillow and placing it behind his back, Shaugn sighed and addressed the steward. "Carlo, please bring me some sugared tamarind."

Carlo motioned to a young servant standing near the door. "Yes, your majesty. Would you like anything in particular to drink?"

Shaugn thought for a moment then shook his head. The only thing he wanted was the sticky, sour-sweet goodness. He rubbed his stomach with a frown. Was this a craving?

"No. Just that. Also, have the bookkeeper bring me the accounting log for the harem and the nursery."

Carlo paused his movements. Shaugn raised a brow.

"What is it?"

Realizing he'd made an error, Carlo shook his head. "Nothing, your majesty. I'll send someone to consort Sieh's immediately."

Shaugn sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. This woman again. "Why is she in charge of the account books? If anything, it should be the odali or first consort that has control of the harem's financial affairs in place of the emperor or empress."

"This is true, your majesty. Consort Sieh took over running many things after the death of your –"

Shaugn nodded for him that it was ok. He figured the death of OG's father and the loss of his child left a deep scar on his heart. Being crippled with depression and unable to functuion wasn't uncommon.

"Well, you weren't interested in most things regarding the palace and the emperor was away," Carlo replied tactfully.

He had to give the staff a thumbs up for their ability to navigate troubled situations with tact and sensitivity. "Well, it's time I take responsibility for the things I'm responsible for."

Carlo nodded and headed off to find the bookkeeper himself. As he was leaving, Kazim and Akechi returned. Kazim's brows shadowed his deep eyes and a vein was prominent on his forehead. Shaugn raised his brows.

"What happened to you?"

The older man's hands reached up and turned into claws as if he wanted to grab someone by the neck. "That insufferable consort Goren."