Making Waves

What Shaugn didn't know was that the prince was warning the factions against the emperor and empress. Should malicious rumors start not only would they have to deal with the emperor, but Prince Etan and his people would also not let them go.

Shaugn was busy admiring the architecture and comparing it to history of his time. The court was a mash of Greek and Asian with tall, marble columns framing the front entrance. Large, carved Foo Dogs stood on either side of the entrance. A red runner lead from the bottom of the steps into the hall.

They walked up the stone steps of the court with more than a dozen guards surrounding them on all sides. The two spoke quietly amongst themselves as they made their way inside. Etan informed him of various things going on in the court during his absence. Shaugn's brows furrowed in thought. Xoan hadn't told him anything of the court's affairs.

Was he trying to protect Shaugn by keeping him in the dark?

Shaugn shook his head. He'd been injured and Xoan probably didn't want to stress him. In that regard, Xoan was only too considerate. Shaugn felt he needed to do something to express his gratitude.

As they neared the entrance to the main chamber, the two separated. Shaugn had been told by Akechi and Kazim the design of the court was second in excellence only to the throne room in the palace. He had been to many museums and seen extravagant ancient rooms on tv but nothing prepared him for the grandeur of the court chamber.

Most courts were dark and dull but this one was filled with bright, natural light pouring in from its many windows. The walls were painted with rich, colorful murals that told the story of the kingdom's founding. The four entrances were surrounded by wood carvings depicting deities of the four directions. From the ceiling hung luxurious brocades with the imperial family tree embroidered on them. Marble pillars rose from the floor to the ceiling to the sides of the dais. A dozen guards stood in front of the steps providing a barrier between the emperor and others. There were two small tables on either side for the opposing speakers. Behind those was a u-shaped table where the ministers, generals, and nobility sat. Beyond that was the spectators area. Shaugn had to admit it was almost similar to a modern court room.

On a dais centered at the front wall was a mahogany carved throne in which Xoan sat. On the back of the chair was a carving of a dragon head. At the bottom of the carved armrests were a dragon and phoenix. There were gemstones embedded in the eyes of both. The whole thing looked majestic and awe-inspiring save for the fact that the noble, benevolent emperor was slouched in the chair with his chin on his fist looking like a hooligan.

The kings of the different kingdoms that made up the empire, ministers, and generals were discussing something with great passion. Xoan's eyes were narrowed and his posture made it look like he was bored to death. Shaugn was trying to get a good look at the other side of the room when someone announced his presence.

"His majesty the empress has arrived!"

Xoan's head whipped around and his eyes lit up. The ministers and generals stood and saluted him. Shaugn shook his head and walked further inside.

The further he walked in, the more the hairs on the back of his neck stood. Beneath the shows of respect was an undercurrent of hate. He secretly eyed those present to see if he could feel where it was coming from. Several faces flashed through his mind and Shaugn sought them out in the crowd before him.

"Why am I not surprised," he thought to himself.

Shaugn's lax and playful personality was buried beneath an indifferent and aloof expression. He tucked his hands into his sleeves and strode towards Xoan, ignoring the not-so-subtle whispers of the court. They were shocked and confused as to why the empress was here at this time.