Courtship and Questions

*Italics used to show something happening in the past

**OG Shaugn = the original Shaugn

"His majesty has been in love with you since," Akechi smiled.

Xoan stayed with them until they returned to Mlima and went their separate ways. A month later, OG Shaugn and his father were summoned to the palace. They were lead to the study by a younger Kazim and the steward to join the emperor for lunch. They talked about trivial matters, mainly what they'd been up to since returning and if the people that attacked the emperor were caught.

The men had been hunted down and those in the court and military that had been involved were weeded out and quietly executed. These included guards in the emperor's palace, one of the consorts, four ministers, a general under his uncle's command, and the former emperor's second youngest brother.

Shaugn was surprised. Such a high-profile crime had been quietly dealt with just like that. Normally when big things happened everyone and their grandmother knew about it.

When they were finished, Xoan dismissed everyone. Shaugn felt butterflies in his stomach and looked to his father. Po Nenih sat poised and confident as he sat beside the emperor. In the old physician's eyes, everyone was the same.

Xoan rubbed the bottom of his glass with his thumb and looked up at the older man. "I am forever grateful to you and Shaugn for saving my life that day."

Po gave a slight nod. "Think nothing of it."

"Shaugn not only has my gratitude but..." the young emperor looked down for a moment and took a deep breath. As he exhaled, he looked up at Shaugn. "He also has my heart."

The light wine he was drinking went down the wrong pipe and Shaugn began to cough. Tears welled in his eyes. Po calmly handed him a glass of water, his eyes not leaving the emperor before him.

"What is his majesty saying? I'm a simple old man. Please speak plainly."

Yes, what was the emperor saying exactly?

Xoan switched his gaze to Shaugn's father. Everything about his posture suggested he was like any other man asking a father for their child's hand in marriage; nervous, cautious, and hopeful. "I'm in love with Shaugn and would like to ask you for his hand."

Shaugn's eyes popped out of his head. Po looked at his son for a moment then looked back to the emperor.

"I'll have to decline. There is a twelve-year gap between you two. Your court ministers nor the grand royal queen would go for it. Not to mention, Shaugn is a talented man and deserves to be more than just an object in a harem. The kingdom would benefit greatly from his talents and skills as a man of medicine."

Shaugn's heart thudded in his chest. You don't just flat out reject the emperor of the nation and tell him his son is better than just being his wife. Was his father trying to get them both tortured and killed? 

Xoan sat up straighter and smiled. "Age means nothing to me and he's more to me than some pretty object. Consorts are usually just for show or political advantage. I feel for Shaugn something I haven't felt for anyone ever. It's so strong that I want Shaugn, not as my consort but..." he looked over in Shaugn's direction again. "I want Shaugn as my empress. The ONLY empress this kingdom will have under my rule."

Having just recovered from his coughing fit, Shaugn choked on water and began coughing anew. The empress! Xoan wanted him to be the empress!? How could he take on such a position?