Picky Eaters

Minor change: Decided to spread Xoan's 10 children out over 7 consorts. 

The consorts quickly found their seats and the waiting staff put down their dishes. Unlike a western-style meal where soup and salad were served before the entrée, their entire meal was served in small bowls and plates on a tray. A few of the consorts looked at the food with frowns. They'd never seen a yellow-green dish like this before.

"What is this?" Shilian took her spoon and pushed around the carrots and potatoes in the bowl. "Looks like pig feed."

Shaugn smiled showing his teeth. "Oh? You know what pig food looks like?" He snapped his fingers. "Oh, that's right. I forgot. You were a maid once. You've seen all sorts of things those of noble birth know nothing about."

There were several snickers. One consort covered her mouth and giggled. Xoan took a sip to hide his smile.

Shilian glared at him. "You would know. Digging in the dirt for some filthy plants."

"Plants that save lives and nourish the body. Some of those plants can even be used to promote fertility." He looked her up and down with a sneer. "But you know that since you used those plants to drug the emperor so he'd have sex with you."

Her chest rose rapidly as her mouth looked like a fish out of water. "Scandolous!"

Snickers and giggles mingled with shocked gasps. The consorts whispered to each other as the household staff secretly looked at each other.

"The empress really said it."

"Touche."

Shilian looked to Xoan with tears in her eyes. "Your majesty, this is pure slander."

"Hardly."

There was a loud throat clearing. Everyone looked at Xoan who simply turned to Shaugn with a slight smile. "Empress, your kitchen spent a long time preparing the meal."

Shaugn took the hint and smiled. "Apologies, your majesty." He turned to his fellow consorts. "Please eat. This is curry chicken. We also have steamed carrots and cabbage with red beans and rice."

The fifth consort was a slender woman with fair complexion and copper hair. Freckles dusted her cheeks and nose. Maryam had given birth to the first princess. There were rumors that because she knew a lot about herbs, that she was a witch despite being the daughter of one of their northern allies. "Where did you get this recipe, empress?"

"In my medicinal dealings I ran into a chef who concocted nourishing meals made from medicinal materials," Shaugn replied.

The tenth consort, who caught colds frequently after the birth of the youngest prince, took a spoonful of curry and tasted it. Her eyes lit up and she began to eat more enthusiastically. Seeing his fellow consort inhaling the food as if it was delicious, the male consort beside her took a taste. His eyes lit up.

"This is medicinal? It's too delicious."

"It's not like those disgusting nourishing soups and stews the physicians prescribe at all."

"Ooh, sister. Try it," the eleventh consort and her twin were rescued from raiders by Xoan and taken into the harem. She held her spoon to her sister's mouth to taste. The twin sister's eyes lit up and she began to eat.

"It's so delicious."

"Isn't it? I don't know where the cook got the spices from. It doesn't taste like medicine."

A few others began to eat and soon the only sound heard was silverware on plates and bowls. There were a few moans of delight and conversations over the different flavors. Shaugn glanced over at Xoan who hadn't said much and whose food was half gone.