Discussion and Departure

They returned to their room and Shaugn began stripping off his outer robe. The ancients wore too many layers. The only thing left uncovered were their hands and heads. Shaugn felt as though he was going to steam cook in his clothes.

Xoan leaned against the desk and watched his empress fight with his garments. He heard Shaugn muttering to himself as he fought with his clothing and rubbed his chin in thought. Since the accident, his beloved zinzin seemed to be a changed person. Not that it was all bad. He just seemed more assertive, more...fierce. Where he cowered and preferred peace before, he actively attacked the other consorts.

A smirk appeared on Xoan's chiseled face.

Good.

"You realize you've started a war in the harem." Xoan walked over to Shaugn and stood in front of him. Shaugn's deep brown eyes stared back without remorse or concern.

"I am aware."

Xoan sat him down in a chair and began taking the ornaments out of Shaugn's locks. "There will be some fallout."

"This too I have considered." A queasiness rose in his belly and Shaugn rubbed it away. He looked into the mirror and watched Xoan take out the rest of his adornments.

"I am not upset. I just want to know what is your ultimate goal?" Their eyes clashed in the mirror.

For a moment Shaugn was surprised. He shook it off and clenched his back teeth. His ultimate goal was simple. He looked back with a resolute gaze. "To punish those that bullied and harassed me."

"Is that all?"

Shaugn turned to face him and squinted his eyes. "Why?"

Xoan's hands landed on his shoulders and gave a light squeeze. "I want to be sure no traces are left behind and help you set up any countermeasures."

Shaugn was quietly turning everything over in his mind. He wanted to tell Xoan everything about his reincarnation but at the same time, he wasn't ready yet. He answered cautiously.

"You will not be angry?"

Xoan gave a small smile. "I told you, do what you must."

"I plan to eliminate anyone who plotted against me and..." his voice choked as tears burned his eyes. He looked at the floor trying to keep Xoan from seeing them. Shaugn put his hand over his heart where it felt like someone was squeezing every last drop out of it. A burning despair rose up in his throat making him want to cry out in soul-wrenching pain.

He found it harder to breathe. These weren't his emotions.  Where did this profound feeling of grief come from? Was he still connected to OG?

Warm hands landed on the sides of his neck and Xoan's thumb tilted his chin up. A tear rolled down his cheek and splashed on the warm palms. Xoan's piercing gaze softened. "And?"

"I will punish anyone involved in us losing our child." He inhaled sharply as Xoan's lips took his in a bruising kiss. After the initial shock, Shaugn wrapped his arms around Xoan's neck and kissed back just as fierce. They tried to pour all their grief, anger, and love for each other into their kiss.

Xoan broke the kiss and crushed Shaugn to his body. Never again would he let his beloved be hurt. He spoke in a gruff whisper in Shaugn's ear. "Gather all the evidence you need but refrain from any killings until I return."

"Do I not have the right?" Shaugn pulled out of his arms and looked up with scowl. 

"You do. But," a smirk lifted the corner of his full lips. "I want to watch."

Shaugn cupped his cheeks in his hands and gave him a fierce kiss. "Whatever you say, your majesty." Strong arms lifted him and carried him to the bed. He was laid down and Xoan's body covered his.