Court Full of Jesters

Akechi and Kazim entered the bedroom to see Shaugn dressed and ready to go. He was sitting at the desk with his head down. A pen scrawled across the paper making a scratching noise against the wood.They looked at each other then back at the empress.

"Your majesty?"

He looked up from the papers in his hand with dark eyes cold and indifferent. He hadn't slept well and he was not looking forward to morning court. "Morning."

Kazim tugged on his tunic hem. Shaugn was usually bright and cheerful. This mood was more like the emperor. "It's early."

He gave a low hum then returned to reading the paper in his hand.

There wasn't much to tidy up in the bedroom because Shaugn had the habit of cleaning after himself. They prepared the table for breakfast and kept quiet so as not to disturb him. Akechi took note of his outfit and hesitated to speak.

"Is your majesty planning to wear this to court this morning?"

Shaugn looked down at his clothing. "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing. It's just...dark, your majesty."

With a chuckle, Shaugn shook his head. Of course it was dark. It was black.

Akechi noted his simple hairstyle and asked, "What about your hair?"

Shaugn paused for a moment in thought. His hair was up in a messy bun with a pair of simple gold hair sticks. There was nothing about this dress that said elegant empress. This outfit made him seem cold and unapproachable – all business.

"Do I need something more?"

Kazim spoke from the side. "Well, you're going to the court, your majesty. You should have a small crown at least."

He waved his hand. "So be it." His stomach let out a low growl. Folding all but one sheet of paper and tucking them into his sleeve, he got up to go to the low table to eat. Mentally going over everything that needed to happen today, Shaugn scarfed his food down then polished it off with a drink.

He dabbed the corners of his mouth. Radagar."

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Send someone to trace the emperor's route and report any strange occurrences immediately."

The emperor? The three looked at him with wide eyes in surprise. Kazim recovered first.

"Do you suspect something happened to the emperor?"

Shaugn rubbed the carnelian stone around his neck. "I'm not sure. Just to be sure."

"Yes!" Radagar hurried out of the door and spoke to someone in the hall.

Shaugn picked up the sheet of paper on the desk and handed it to Akechi. "Take this sketch to the seamstress and tell her to make three as specified according to my size."

Akechi glanced at the sketch he'd made when he couldn't sleep. "You're changing your royal dress?"

Having fought with all the complicated different layers when trying to dress himself, Shaugn scaled down the clothing he was to wear and added buttons. He also designed modern boxer briefs, eliminating the fabric waste and ineffective undergarments.

"I've simplified it. This will be my daily wear from now on. If a special occasion happens, then the traditional dress will be worn."

Akechi nodded and summoned one of the waiters standing by to take it to the seamstress. When all was cleaned up, they left the emperor's rooms and headed to the front of the palace. A carriage was waiting instead of a rickshaw. Shaugn looked over his shoulder.