Shifob

Shaugn made his way back to his room to wait for the physician. He had to ascertain how far along he was and the condition of the fetus. Thinking ahead, he needed to figure out all the different ways he'd be affected by the pregnancy and plan for it.

There was a knock on the door and the physician entered. He was a portly man with a bald head and black and gray in his beard. His eyes were bright and shiny and he was all smiles. Shaugn recognized him as a physician that often came to the clinic to see dujshua and younger patients.

Shaugn stood and greeted him with a smile. "That was quick."

Shifob saluted and bowed his head. "I came as soon as I heard, your majesty."

"Thank you for coming."

"No thanks, no thanks." He motioned to the bed. "Please sit."

Shaugn sat and handed Shifob his arm. Warm stubby fingers checked his pulse. Shifob's smile vanished and his brows pinched together as he concentrated on diagnosing the pulse. He turned Shaugn's hand over and pulled it closer to his face observing the veins on the back before putting it on the bed. "May I touch, your body majesty?"

The sound of a sword unsheathing was loud in the space. Shifob paled under his tan. Shaugn rolled his eyes.

"Radagar," his tone was laced with warning.

Shifob turned and faced Radagar. "Dujshuas' bodies are different from women's bodies. I have to check the stomach and hips."

Shaugn shook his head and sighed. "Ignore him. My guards are rather overprotective. They're worse than the emperor." Akechi helped him undo his clothing so his stomach was exposed.

Shifob waved his hand in embarrassment. "That is good. The empress should be heavily guarded at all times." He rubbed his hands together to warm them up before placing them on Shaugn's belly. His eyes closed and his hands moved from one spot to the other. He pressed down gently making Shaugn grunt. Then he slid his hands to Shaugn's hip bones and gave a small squeeze. When he finished, he stood and wiped his hands on a wet cloth Kazim handed to him. Akechi helped Shaugn fix his clothing and sit up on the bed.

"What's the news?"

Shifob sat in a chair by the bed provided by Kazim. "Well, your majesty. You are almost four months along. The fetus is healthy and strong despite your fall."

Shaugn nearly fell back with relief. Something sparked in his brain. "Four months?"

The physician nodded. "Unless I measured wrong. You were about two months when you fell and it's been two months since then."

A complicated look appeared on Shaugn's face. Did OG not know how far along he was?

"It's really a miracle you didn't lose it in your accident."

With a nod, Shaugn pulled out his fan. "Indeed."

"The empress is blessed by the heavens."

Shaugn stopped himself from rolling his eyes. "This time."

"I don't see any issues with this pregnancy as long as you eat properly and don't overdo it." He took a paper out of his sleeve and scribbled something down. "Take this tonic once a day to help strengthen your body."

Shaugn stood and adjusted his clothing. "Thank you."

Shifob stood and gave a bow. "My pleasure."

"Oh, except for the people in this room, no one else is to know."

Didn't he need to report his findings to the emperor and the palace physician? With a questioning look, Shifob looked around. Kazim and Akechi were looking at him with solemn expressions. Radagar put his hand on the hilt of his sword. The threat was clear. He nodded to Shaugn. "I understand, your majesty."