Preparations

Shaugn stretched his stiff body with a throaty groan. Last night had been amazing. They didn't go all the way but they were close. Xoan decided last minute they needed to wait as Shaugn was still recovering. He was most afraid his empress would suffer a setback and was content with waiting. In the end, they finished each other off with their hands and fell asleep pressed against each other.

Arms wrapped around him and pulled him back against a warm chest. The last of Shaugn's hesitations were blown away after last night. He was wholly prepared now to share this life with Xoan. He sighed as a kiss landed on his shoulder. His husband was so affectionate. A bachelor with several failed relationships in his own time and place, Shaugn felt he was on the fast track to becoming a spoiled man.

"Morning."

Xoan's voice was the right mix of deep and raspy laced with a hint of sleepiness. Shaugn wiggled his hips as he felt himself stir below. "Morning. Sleep well?" his own voice was deep and froggy. He was not ready to leave the comfort of this warm bed and the human heater attached to his back.

"Mmhm." Xoan buried his face in Shaugn's back. Soon his breathing slowed.

Shaugn relaxed against him and closed his eyes. He had just started to drift back off to sleep when a knock landed on the door. Xoan groaned against his skin making him chuckle.

"I guess that means we need to get up, your majesty."

Xoan's arms around his waist tightened. "No. I declare today 'sleeping in' day."

Shaugn giggled and turned to face his husband. He pushed the long dark strands out of the man's face and caressed his cheek. "That won't do. We have things to do today."

"I don't wanna."

"Lazy bones." He pecked Xoan's pouty lips and smoothed his dark hair behind his ear. Xoan opened his eyes and gave a half smile.

Shaugn shook his head and smiled. "Today's the luncheon with your other wives."

Xoan rolled his eyes and rolled onto his back. "Goody." He pulled Shaugn into his arms and sighed.

Another knock landed on the door before it opened. Akechi and Kazim entered followed by Radagar and Xaveh, the emperor's assistant. Kazim snatched the curtains open letting in the rising sun. Shaugn buried his face in Xoan's shoulder as they both groaned at the sudden brightness. Akechi snatched the blankets off of the two making them cling tighter to each other against the cool morning air.

"Your majesties, it's time to get up," Akechi scolded from the side.

Xoan rolled over so his back was facing them. "No. I refuse."

"You have court in an hour, majesty," Xaveh pointed out. Xoan rolled back over and kissed the top of Shaugn's head before sitting up. Shaugn threw his pillow at Xaveh who chuckled at the side.

"Killjoy."

Xaveh dealt with Xoan while Akechi stuffed Shaugn into his housecoat and pulled him out of bed.

"Now, now. Don't be this way, majesty," she hustled him to the bathroom. "You have that lunch with the consorts and you need to talk to the kitchen staff."

He rolled his eyes. "You do it."

Akechi frowned. It was originally one of her duties but Shaugn wanted to plan this luncheon himself. Everything from the décor to the dishes served had Shaugn's personal stamp on it. "But you told me you'd do it."

"Yeah, yeah." Shaugn pushed her out of the bathroom and shut the door. He relieved his bladder and washed up. Once finished with his routine, he put on his undergarments and housecoat. Akechi was waiting for him to dress him in his robes for the day. Xoan washed in a basin and was already dressed in black and gold robes. After putting a beaded cap with gold and black beads on the brim, Xaveh was ready to whisk him away.

Shaugn had to admire Xaveh's efficiency. Xoan was cleaned, dressed, and even his hair was done up in the same amount of time Shaugn had been puttering around in the bathroom. Xoan looked regal and elegant, a far cry from the wild-haired, half-naked man growling about not wanting to get up.

Xoan walked up to Shaugn and kissed his cheek. "I'll see you at the luncheon."

He removed a stray hair on Xoan's shoulder and smiled. "Okay. Have a good morning in court." After Xoan left, Shaugn had a cup of tea and breakfast in his room while he read his to-do list for the day. Akechi pulled and twisted his hair half up in a bun. Two gold hairpins with dangling jewels were inserted to make him more regal. A gold headband with a carved phoenix and inlaid jewels finished off his look. When he was finished with his tea, he slipped into his comfortable sandals then followed Akechi and Kazim out. Radagar and the guards followed alongside. Their first stop – the kitchens.

Originally Shaugn was going to let the staff prepare something fancy from this time and space. Unfortunately, he began to crave his favorite foods from home. After consulting with Akechi and the head cook, he realized they had many of the ingredients that he needed to make several of his favorite dishes. After writing a dozen recipes on paper, he sought out the head chef to make the dishes he wanted. After sampling their work, Shaugn made a few minor adjustments and then had them prepare it for the luncheon.

This luncheon was about more than spending time with Xoan before he left. For Shaugn it was a chance to get a good look at all of OG's enemies and possible allies. One of OG's problems had been he was too naïve about human nature and he tended to stay to himself. He didn't have many friends or allies in the palace or courts other than Xoan and Etan. Even his relationship with Etan was fairly superficial. From history and movies, Shaugn knew allies could be someone as lowly as a cleaning person to as high as a ruler of another country. What Shaugn needed was allies to help be his eyes and ears on a daily basis.

The smell of herbs and spices filled his nose as soon as they entered the courtyard leading to the kitchen and dining areas. There were several deep breaths behind and beside him. Shaugn took a deep whiff of the air and smiled to himself. "Man, this is gonna be good."