Fight For the Right to Fight

The carriage was just as comfortable as the rickshav just more spacious. Xoan sat across from Shaugn and read a book while Shaugn watched the scenery outside and fanned himself. The hot flashes coupled with the outside temperature and too many layers of cloth on his body made Shaugn irritable. 

He couldn't rule out pregnancy hormones as the main culprit, though. He had to give props to his female relatives for dealing with this more than once. He still had a long way to go and hadn't experienced half of what others had. Shaugn tugged on his collar and shifted in his seat a few times before Xoan looked up from his book.

He watched Shaugn turn this way and that while tugging on his shirt before speaking. "Are you alright, zinzin?"

Shaugn sighed and waved his fan faster. "I'm fine. Just feeling a little warm."

Xoan's dark brows drew together with worry. "Are you ill?"

'I'm pregnant' is what he wanted to say but Shaugn knew he had to keep that to himself for a little bit longer. "No. I'll be fine. Don't worry."

"Very well." He looked outside the window. They were now traveling to a section of the city that was more upscale than the busy law center. The houses were larger and built with better materials than the commoners. Large stone walls encased the homes. A guard stood at the entrances barring unauthorized persons from entering. Well tended flowers and trees softened the cold stone and the harsh glare of the guards. Each house was bigger and more exquisite than the other. 

Shaugn sighed. It's good to be rich.

"It's been long since the two of us have been out alone," Xoan commented.

"There are always things to do. It's not easy being the emperor."

"Indeed but I shouldn't neglect you." He turned his gaze back to his empress.

Shaugn met his gaze. His heart stuttered at the sad look on Xoan's face.

"I haven't protected you well," Xoan admitted. " Something I promised your father I would do."

Po wasn't Shaugn's father, he was OG's but Shaugn couldn't help feeling saddened by the mention of his name. However, it wasn't Xoan's fault Po had died at the hands of others. He'd been away when it happened. "I don't blame you and neither would he. You can't be around every day all day."

"But still, I-"

Shaugn leaned back in his seat with his arms over his chest. Guilt and feeling sorry for one's self was not something he did well. Besides, he needed Xoan in the right headspace for everything that was coming. "You're forgiven." His eyes lit up as an idea popped in his head. He snapped the fan shut and tapped it against his chin."If you really feel bad, find someone to teach me weapons."

Xoan arched a brow. "You want to learn how to fight?"

"Yes."

He crossed his arms over his chest and gave Shaugn a hard stare. "That's what the guards are for."

"What if someone comes for me while I'm in the bath or at the temple?"

Xoan's eyes darkened and he spoke through clenched teeth. "If anyone fails to protect you this time, their life is forfeit."

Shaugn narrowed his eyes. Xoan was trying not to see it his way. He was not about to give up. "So you won't find someone to teach me to use a weapon? Not even a teenie, weenie dagger?"

Xoan pursed his lips and didn't speak for several moments. "Weapons training is rigorous. You've only just recovered."

Shaugn mentally high-fived himself. He gave a sweet smile. "Then we'll start out slow and work our way up."

A moment of silence passed as Xoan eyed his empress from head to toe. Shaugn's heart was beating in his chest like a war drum. It was never wise to go up against a man who probably knew how to fight since he could walk. But Shaugn was determined to learn with or without the emperor's blessing. He batted his lashes and said with a sweet voice,

"Pretty please."

The look on Xoan's face relaxed as he gave a slight smile. "Very well."

That actually worked? Shaugn blinked at him in surprise. He expected to have to beg a little more. "Uh...thank you."

A light chuckle left Xoan's lips. "You have changed since your fall."

Shaugn's muscles tensed. What did that mean? Did Xoan suspect he wasn't OG? "What do you mean?"

Rubbing his chin, Xoan looked over Shaugn before shrugging. "You're just...different. It's not a bad thing."

"I haven't been myself since a long time ago. I thought it was time I got back into the swing of things."

"There's no rush. Take your time."

"I am a doujshua and the empress. I can't sit around and be lax while my husband deals with everything by himself," Shaugn insisted.

Xoan reached across and pulled Shaugn into his arms. Before Shaugn could speak, hot lips pressed against his own. A soft tongue pressed into his opened mouth and began to explore every crevice inside. Shaugn was stunned at first but soon recovered and returned the kiss.

His body temperature surged as Shaugn let himself be pulled deeper into a kiss that was sensual and dominating all at once. His heart raced as blood flowed to his nether regions. Xoan's hands slipped inside his robes and gripped his bottom for a squeeze. Shaugn moaned into the kiss and shifted his lower body as the blood flowed south. His hands tangled in the dark hair at the back of Xoan's head as they devoured each other.

Xoan lifted Shaugn onto his lap, legs open on either side of him. His hands groped Shaugn's firm butt and trailed up his sides. He broke the kiss and dotted kisses up Shaugn's jawline to his ear. "It's been so long, zinzin."

Shaugn shivered as Xoan's words seemed to make love to his ear. It had been a long time for him as well. The last time he'd been intimate with anyone was a one-night stand after breaking up with his last boyfriend. That guy was not half as sexy as Xoan and even less remarkable of a kisser. Shaugn's suppressed libido flared up and he pressed himself closer, not leaving any gaps between them. "I want you too, myenida."

Xoan's eyes darkened and he let out a low growl. Shaugn smirked at him. 

"I want you right here, right now, my beloved empress."

'Come and get some' was on the tip of his tongue. At that moment, the carriage jerked to a stop and they both cursed as they were thrown back in the carriage.

"Your majesties, we've arrived," Xoan's assistant called out.

What timing. They looked at each other and laughed softly. Xoan pecked his lips and released him from his arms. "Maybe later."

Shaugn chuckled and shook his head. He hadn't been that enthusiastic in years. Though he wasn't planning to get intimate until he was ensured the status of the child in his belly, he couldn't help himself from falling into Xoan's arms. He straightened his clothing and helped Xoan fix his hair.

"Maybe."

The door was opened and the stool put down for them to disembark. Xoan jumped over it. Shaugn lifted the hem of his robes so as not to trip and tried to step down with as much grace as possible. He gasped as strong hands gripped his waist and lifted him up. There was a twinkle in Xoan's eyes as he swung his empress around before setting him down on his feet.

Shaugn smiled in embarrassment and looked to see if anyone had seen them. Though the guards were not looking directly at them, some of their cheeks and ear tips were red. He opened his fan to cool his heated face. Xoan took his hand and kissed his cheek. 

"Come. Tonight we dine at your favorite restaurant."

Shaugn's stomach growled in response. Xoan chuckled and tugged him inside.