Night Vision

No matter which way he lay, Shaugn was uncomfortable and his mind was filled with Xoan. Giving up after several failed attempts, he got out of bed and stood by the window. Torches illuminated the halls, entrances, and courtyards so the patrolling guards could see. There wasn't a trace of moonlight and what few stars were out, were covered by clouds.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Shaugn closed his eyes and tried to quiet his mind. Ever since dinner, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to happen to Xoan. His stomach was tight with anxiety and restless energy coursed through him. He put his slippers on and decided to head to the kitchen for a warm glass of milk.

He motioned for the guards outside his door to stay put and shuttled to the kitchen alone. Being followed everywhere he went besides the bathroom still unnerved him to a small degree. What normal modern day person was used to such treatment?

Besides, there were still the shadow guards hiding in the dark ready to spring into action at any moment.

One of those guards saw where he was headed and lit a candle in the kitchen and disappeared into the shadows as soon as Shaugn entered the kitchen. Shaugn shook his head with a slight smile and grabbed a porcelain cup from the shelf. While he was pouring the milk into a cup, he saw a covered basket on one of the counters. Removing the cloth, he found some buns leftover from dinner. He took a bite and closed his eyes with a smile. Garnet's buns were so sweet, and buttery just the way Shaugn liked it. If he had to live on bread alone, he wouldn't complain a single bit.

He washed it down with the milk and sighed. This restlessness made no sense. About to take another bite, his hand froze in mid-air.

The kitchen disappeared and he found himself standing on the side of the road. The sound of metal sang in the air and blood blanketed the ground. His eyes widened as he saw Xoan and his guard fighting a group of men covered from head to toe in black.

Where was the army he left with in the morning?

A scream made Shaugn shiver as the man fell to the ground two feet from where he stood. He heard a whistled in the air and turned his body to the side. A flying star lodged into the tree behind him. The man who three it let out a scream as his arm was severed from his shoulder. Xoan separated his head from his body and turned to the next man.

Who were those men? Who sent them and how did they know when Xoan's entourage would pass through?

Shaugn frowned. Why was he able to see it as if he was there? Before he could ponder anything else, movement caught his attention. A man approached Xoan from behind. His sword was raised over his head ready to strike the young emperor down with one blow.

Fear gripped his heart. Forgetting he was in a dream, Shaugn reached his hand out and shouted Xoan's name.

*****

Everyone looked at Shifob waiting for him to speak. He shook his head but before he could speak, there was a choking gasp. They rushed forward ready to catch the empress before he could hit the floor.

Shaugn doubled over with a hand on his stomach, coughing violently. Voices came from all around and hands reached out and lifted him up. He squinted against the brightness as he was rushed through the corridor. Someone placed a wet cloth on his forehead. Someone else shouted instructions. Someone called his name in hysterics. Someone was crying.

What was happening?

He was laid on something soft and all the hands disappeared. A cold hand grabbed his wrist making him shiver. He could feel the vibration as the person shouted out instructions. Various voices floated to his ear.