ch.2

thank you

   a distance horn rung through the air, causing me to send a concerned look to glenn.

    "whatever that is, it's far... it sounds like it's coming from-" before davina could finish, rick cut in, "home"

worry started to overtake my body, realizing the horn was pulling the walkers off the road and towards alexandria.

"we gotta go" glenn urged, grabbing my arm to pull me along with him into the woods, along with the others.

"tobin, it's not stopping. light it up, you hear me?" rick questioned, only getting static back in return.

a walker appeared from behind the trees, causing me to step forwards only to be held back by glenn, who shook his head.

"davina"

"got it" she responded, shooting it down with her silenced gun before moving along behind us.

"alright, listen up. here's the new plan" rick started, stopping the group once we were far enough ahead, "i go back, get the rv, circle around the woods on redding. i'll get in front of them before they get there, i can lead them away again."

"rv's a mile back, i'll go with you" a guy volunteered, causing me to shake my head, "i'll go with him, we can handle it. just get home"

rick hesitated before nodding, knowing i wouldn't back down, "melanie, glenn, michonne, davina"

we followed ricks motion, walking closely behind him as he talked.

"if something's in front of you, you kill it. no hiding, no waiting, you keep going."

glenn furrowed his eyebrows, glancing between me and rick, "i'm going with you guys. you can't do this with just the two of you."

"glenn, we can do this" i assured, grabbing his arm.

"you need to help me, we've got to get these people back." michonne informed, earning a nod from me and rick.

"the thing is, they aren't all gonna make it. i know you're worried to leave mel and the baby, but she's safer with me. i can assure you their safety"

i sent a small smile to rick, happy that he had my small families back.

"i'll go with glenn and michonne, they'll need the extra hands." davina announced, causing glenn to nod, "yeah"
______________
glenns pov

i pulled melanie aside, wanting to say a meaningful goodbye, just in case one of us didn't make it.

"don't worry, rick keeps his promises." she assured, gently rubbing her thumbs across my hands, giving me that beautiful smile.

"i know, i just want to make sure you know how much you and this baby mean to me..." i stated, earning a nod.

"what did i say about living in fear?" she questioned, moving closer to place a hand on my cheek.

i shrugged, glancing back at the rest of the group, "just promise me you'll be safe"

she smiled, nodding her head, "i promise, i'll be safe, love"

after her last words, she snaked her arms around my neck, pulling me into a hug. i buried my head into her neck, taking in her vanilla scent.

"i love you"

"i love you too"
_____________
melanies pov

"you're gonna have to run like hell, you up for that?" rick questioned, causing me to let out a little scoff as we walked towards the opening of the woods.