ch.7

the same boat

my eyes slowly opened, seeing that my face was pressed against the cold ground. voices of unfamiliar people caused me to sit up, despite the pain that shot through my body.

"finally, our fighter's awake." paula smirked, kneeling down to my level, "it was hell getting you here."

i ignored her, turning my attention to carol who sat across from me, tied up and gagged.

"i want to kill you both right now. it's taking all i have not to, so go ahead. i dare you to try something. just see what happens" paula warned, standing up from beside me.

she glanced between the two of us before rushing towards the open door, slamming it behind her.

i took a deep breath, tilting my head in discomfort from the recent events. my eyes started to search the place, stopping when they fell on the sharp corner of the wall.

i turned my body as best as i could, rubbing the duck tape my hands were tied together with, in an attempt to cut it off.

before i could even get through one layer, faint footsteps rang through the silent room alerting us that they were close.

i turned my body back, repositioning myself in place. i now trained my eyes on carol, who's breathing caught me off guard.

i couldn't tell if she was faking or if she was actually hyperventilating, but it freaked me out.

"when's the last time anyone checked this place?" paula questioned, reentering the room with the man carol shot, along with the two women.

"it was fine a month ago" the woman who knocked me out responded, sending me a death glare when she entered.

as the small group talked, i never took my eyes off carol, scared she was actually being for real this time.

"carol!" i shouted, trying to get the others attention to help her, but the gag caused my words to sound muffled.

"shut up" paula scolded, giving me the side eye as she helped the man with his arm.

"jesus, it's bleeding. it's not supposed to keep bleeding" the man uttered, cringing down at his wounded arm, "i'm not losing it."

"hey! hey!" i shouted, finally catching paula's attention.

she turned, watching me struggle to talk from the gag as she walked over, pulling it out of my mouth, "what?!"

"she's hyperventilating. somebody needs to take her gag off" i informed, pointing towards carol.

paula turned, throwing her hands up in annoyance before moving back to the guy.

"she's a nervous little bird, ain't she?" the older woman questioned, pulling the gag out of carols mouth.

you don't even know.

i watched her take a huge breath in relief, looking up at the two women.

"look at you. bitch, how did you make it this far?" the girl who punched me asked, pointing her gun at carol.

"honey, you need to take some yoga breaths and calm your ass down." the older woman stated, reaching down in carols pocket to grab her rosary beads.

i furrowed my brows, knowing carol was putting on an act for sure now.

while carol wheezed, paula stood up from the mans side, moving to take a look at carols condition, "what are you so afraid of?"