Chapter 12

I froze at his words. No, not my cousins pack. I’m sure he hated me too, just as much as his father had. Back when he was still Alpha, my uncle, Kron gave my mom one last chance to come back to his pack. But only if she rejected her rate and didn’t have any tainted blood children. But she was already pregnant with Derek and laughed at his offer while showing him her newly growing stomach.

            That was the last day he had ever contacted my mother. Word had it; Kron blamed Derek and me for my mother’s refusal. He told lies to his pack and taught them to hate us all. It had only seemed petty as I grew up, but now that his son was showing up out of nowhere, it had me worried.

            Finally I spoke up. “Graham, whatever you do, do not let him know we are mates. Do not even let him know I am here.” The panic in my own voice annoyed me but I knew I had a right to be scared.

            Graham breathed out deeply. “I am afraid he already knows.”

            I gasped. Was that why he was here? Did he want to punish me for my mom leaving? How did he know I was here? What if he tries to hurt the pack? I could not express a single question I had only dive back into Graham’s chest by instinct.

            “Do not worry; I will not let them lay a finger on you. I will do whatever it takes to protect you.” I nod into his chest. “How about you go shower up and get ready for bed. We can watch a movie after I make a few arrangements okay?”

            I agree and numbly make my way upstairs. My shower is hot, probably too hot as my skin turns a painful red color. Being here has changed everything. I feel so much more emotional than I used to, and vulnerable. But I am scared, I was never really afraid of anything before, sometimes to the point of stupidity, but now I doubted my strengths. I felt the need to rely on Graham. How I didn’t mind the last part bothered me a lot as well. I did not want to become the perfect little docile mate I had always teased Valentine of being. It was not me, I was a fighter, it was in my blood.

            After my shower I gingerly touched my neck. It was still raw but only stung a little; I would heal fine in a day or so. I wrapped myself in a towel and stepped out of the bathroom. Graham entered the room, now with a pair of shorts on. How long had I been in the shower for? I went to the closet and put on some shorts and a baggy t-shirt.

            I went back downstairs and sorted through the collection of movies that sat on shelves on either side of the television. I carried them back up just as Graham was getting out of the shower. He put on a pair of gym shorts and after I put in a movie he drags me by the waist to the bed. I try to protest but he only starts to tickle me. It is such a bad weakness to have.

            I shrieked in a fit of giggles and squeals, “No – Gra – Graham! No please! It tickles so much!”

            Finally he stopped and pulls me against his side on the bed. “It served its purpose.”

            I playfully smacked his chest. “What purpose?”

            “To finally get to see that beautiful smile of yours again.”

            I just roll my eyes at him. I didn’t really want to talk about Diego or anyone form the Eclipse pack for that matter. After starting the movie Graham pulled me close so my back was facing his chest as we lay on the bed. I snuggled deeper into his hold, both my wolf and myself enjoying the comfort of our mate. Today was like one long rollercoaster ride, but in the end I cannot deny my gratefulness that I ended up in Graham’s arms. Maybe things will actually work out; I can keep my family and have my mate; which was good because I didn’t think I would be able to live without any of them.