part one| hello angelique

It was my first day starting a new job and to say the least my stomach was turning with nervousness. I've had difficulty finding something I actually want to pursue in life. None of my previous jobs have lasted over 4 months and I hate to admit it, but I was stuck. I was longing for some sort of structure in my life, a routine. But it was harder to find it than I thought.

I woke up at 7:00 sharp on a Monday morning to start my new job. I'd be working as an assistant for Kineros Robotics just to make enough money to be able to buy groceries every month. The sound of cars and people yelling instantly filled my ears after the first in the morning confusion left my brain. New York, felt just like home. After getting up from the comfortable bed and brewing my much needed coffee, I hopped in the shower. The warmth immediately spread throughout my body and I was able to take a few deep breaths to relax. I was anxious I wouldn't be able to find another job if I left this one. Just about every boss and his kid knows about me in this big city. I frantically shoved half a slice of toast down my throat as I left out the door, making sure to lock it behind me. And just like that I was on my way to once again, a brand new job.

While walking through the glass doors of this very tall building the professional atmosphere consumed me. Everything was white with small hints of color like a flower pot or pencil jar. The ceilings were tall for a building in New York and beautiful chandeliers hung from them. I averted my gaze from the shiny surroundings and made my way to the front desk.

"Hello." I said kindly to one of the ladies working at the front desk, to which I got a finger raise indicating 'one moment'.

The woman lowered her finger after a moment and welcomed me with a quick smile.

"What can I do for you?" she said writing down a few things on a notepad off to the side, not bothering to keep eye contact.

"I'm here for the assistant position. Angelique Cariveu." I said awkwardly standing there and fiddling with the rings on my fingers.

"Of course, Angelique. Here." she said handing me a name tag and a keycard. "Your I.D for Kineros Robotics and your keycard for where you'll be working."

"Thank you. Have a good day." I smiled and headed towards the elevator, following signs pointing me in the right direction.

I was admiring the architecture of the walls around me while walking towards the elevators and accidentally bumped into someone.

"Sorry!" I quickly replied after stumbling into a young woman.

"No, my apologies. I was in a hurry." the woman said.

She looked not much older than I was, around 25 I would say. She had her hair up in a bun and a sleek romper accessorized with dainty jewelry and a long coat. She greeted me with a comforting smile.

"Nora." she said holding out her hand.

"Angelique." I said smiling back and shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you. Where are you working?" she asked tucking some loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"The assistant position. Not for long hopefully, just trying to get on my feet." I explained.

Nora raised her eyebrows.

"Ms Venable?" she asked concerned.

"Who's Ms Venable?" I asked with a look of confusion on my face. I had no idea who she was talking about and why she had that expression on her face.

"One of the highest authorities here. She goes through assistants like wildfire." Nora chuckled. "Some advice, she likes her coffee black with a splash of cream and always be on time." she said holding my elbow in reassurance.