part nineteen| my secret

✯︎

I woke up and rolled over only to find the bed empty next to me. At first I thought I had dreamt the entire thing until I realized I was in fact in Wilhemina's room. Although she was gone, her scent still lingered, and it put a smile on my face.

There were a few taps at the door which startled me, and I tensed up trying to cover my exposed chest with the sheets. I stayed as quiet as I could trying to avoid getting caught by anyone.

"Goodmorning." Mina said as she cracked open the door, carrying a small breakfast tray in her hands.

"Morning." I whispered, relieved that it was her.

She placed a kiss to my lips and handed me the tray.

On the tray was a cut up apple. Although it wasn't much, it was better than those god awful jelly cubes. Nonetheless I was happy to see something that wasn't grey for once.

"Where did you get these?" I asked, taking a bite out of a slice.

"We were gifted apples." Mina said happily. "It must've been from another outpost."

"There's other outposts?" I said furrowing my brows in confusion.

I thought we were the only ones left.

"Yes there are other outposts. But you don't have to worry about that. Everything's under control." she replied stroking the side of my face.

I wanted to know more but refrained from babbling all my thoughts to Mina.

"Thank you honey." I smiled, giving her a soft kiss.

Mina stared at my eyes for a few moments, then down at my lips as she stroked her thumb over them.

"Eat up now. And don't tell anyone I gave you that apple." she winked before standing up with her cane and walking towards the door.

"Get ready quickly. Breakfast will be served soon." she said as she closed the door.

I sat there with a stupid grin plastered on my face. I realized how lucky I was. It was the end of the world and somehow I ended up with Mina. We were amongst the last few people on earth and somehow we've still managed to gravitate towards each other.

I eventually got out of bed and slipped down the halls after waiting a few moments, just to be sure the coast was clear. I went to my room and frantically put on clothes so I wouldn't be late for breakfast.

As I headed down the stairs I noticed a new familiar face at the bottom of the staircase.

"Chris?" I said dumbfoundedly.

The girl turned around and sure enough, it was Chris. Out of all people, she was the one I least expected to find in this outpost.

"Angelique? What the hell are you doing here?" she said in an overtly-excited tone and held out her arms for a hug.

I rushed down the rest of the stairs and practically leaped into Chris' arms. It was nice to see someone I recognized after not socializing for so long, besides Mina and Athena (who i'm still slightly annoyed with).

"How did you get here?" I asked, pulling away from being suffocated in her arms.

"Same as you I guess." she replied.

I just smiled, nodded, and steered our attention towards another topic. I didn't want to explain to her that Wilhemina stabbed my with a syringe that made me blackout.

"How long have you been here?" I asked. "I didn't see you at first."

"I'm not sure to be honest. I woke up and remember being in this very cold room, then I was blasted by some sort of smoke, then I fell back asleep and woke up in one of the rooms."