30 | M + E

Mattia

My eyes were closed, yet I noticed that the sunlight was no longer held back by the thick curtains. When I opened my eyes I saw her standing in between the two sides of the curtains, her back was facing me. She glanced over her shoulders and I pretended to still be asleep. I wanted to admire her for a little longer without her noticing me doing so.

Nuelle turned back towards the window with her arms hugging herself. Her long, wavy hair was hanging loose down her back.

As if she could feel my eyes on her, she once again looked over her shoulders and this time I did not pretend to be asleep nor did I turn to look elsewhere. She did not bother to fully turn around. Instead she remained in that position, her arms wrapping tighter around herself, her eyes staring into mine and her lips slowly parting with each breath she took.

"You're here." I said, eager to start a conversation that would hopefully gain me insides to what was going through her mind.

"Yes." She mouthed.

"Why?"

I expected some kind of excuse on Tia's behalf. "Because I want to," She whispered to my surprise.

In my mind I asked the question "Come again?", but in reality I was quiet.

"You don't want me here?"

"No, no," I swallowed. "That's not it. I, just–"

"I'm sorry about yesterday. I know that I was being childish and that doing all of this is not a game." She explained.

I nodded. "Good."

"So, if you'll have me, I would like to do my part just like everyone is doing theirs."

My eyebrows unexpectedly raised at her answer. "Is that what you think? That everyone is doing their part?"

She seemed confused by my questions.

"Have you seen Marco today?"

She shook her head.

"Right. And Marissa?"

"She has work today, I saw her leave before I came here."

"Exactly. So, what part are they playing in all of this?"

"They are going to work, they are covering for you." She stated confidently.

"They are going to work, because of the income. They aren't doing that for me, Emmanuelle!" My voice automatically became louder as a result of my frustration. "You think that they're doing that for me? I haven't seen or spoken Marco in days and he only came here because he had to. And then I get a call that he's passed out in his office? Is that how he's covering for me?"

Nuelle's eyes grew larger.

"And Marissa?" I sighed. "I haven't seen Marissa in probably two weeks. The last time she was here it seemed like she was forced to be here." I admitted.

"You're not aware of all aspects of our lives so I don't blame you if you think that I'm overreacting." I continued.

"No, not at all. Like you said, I don't know enough about your lives or bond to be able to do that. I can only talk about my motives. When I asked you why I was sent away, you explained that I actually don't have anything to complain about, because growing up I always had what I needed. You were right. I always did, even though you weren't obligated to do that for me, because adopting me wasn't your decision."

"I shouldn't have—"

"You guys weren't there for me physically, but financially you were. I don't have the money to pay you back for everything, but I can repay you by being there for you and as for right now you seem to need that the most."