34 | M + E

Mattia

"I just think that we should give her a chance." Marissa pleaded even after I had said 'no'.

I sighed. I was tired, physically because I had just returned home from the rehabilitation facility. Mentally, because Marissa did not bother to let me rest before she barged into my room. At first I thought that she was looking for Anthony. That would have been a better situation to deal with than this one.

"Marissa. It's not that I don't want to give Emmanuelle a seat at the table, it's just that she doesn't know enough about the company to take on the role of a director. Even if it's a supporting role." I once again tried to explain.

"I know that. There is so much more that she needs to learn but Mattia, she has done really well these past few days. She is willing to learn and determined to do whatever needs to be done."

"A few days isn't nearly enough to get promoted to a senior position."

"But it will be enough since she will closely work with us." Marissa snarled.

I drew in a long breath. Marissa has always been strong willed, so I knew that I would not be able to get this idea out of her head.

"What does Marco think about this? Is he on board with this?"

"I haven't spoken to him about it as yet."

"And why is that?"

She gulped. "I wanted to know what your thoughts on this are before I talk to him about it."

"Listen, I am all for Nuelle joining us. But, that she has shares to the company or that she is family doesn't mean that she can skip steps and go straight to the top. We'll start with a junior position. You want her on Marco's department? Fine by me. But, as his employee not as his equal. Not yet."

"Fine. Will we at least have a meeting during which we can introduce her to our partners?"

I nodded. "We'll have to do it sooner or later so we might as well do it now."

"I'll send out an e-mail to them and will you come-"

"No, no. I will virtually join the meeting from my home office."

"I'll let them know." She said before she took her leave.

Marissa was not wrong, I had just hoped to solve the issues that I was already dealing with before adding more to my plate. But, then I realized that this was the very issue that started all the others.

Thinking about the meeting made me nervous, not because this would be my first meeting since my accident. No, I was nervous about seeing her. I was aware that I had poorly handled the situation and to think that I would now have to start working so closely with her, well— that certainly caused me to worry.

-------------------------------------------- //

Emmanuelle

I was not ready to start working full time, at least not for father's company. Perhaps I was still unsure if I even wanted to stay instead of going back to England. The thought of having to work with Marco made me sick whilst the thought of working with Dimitri sent anger and sadness to course through my veins.

I had tried to talk Marissa out of having the conversation with Dimitri, but she dismissed my opinion. I knew that she meant well and I could not blame her for not knowing why I did not want the offered position.

I patiently sat at my desk, alone. Marissa had stayed back at the house to wait for Dimitri's return from the facility.

She suggested that I head to the office with Anthony to handle a call that she was expecting. Luckily, it was not anything too intense. I just had to take notes and present the information that she had left me.