44 | E

Emmanuelle

"...Gianna and Mattia Mulaney who have decided to unite our families through Marriage. Cheers."

I had already joined the crowd in clapping when I processed Gerold's announcement. It was like I needed to double check if my ears were not lying to me, because I was in denial.

My hands suddenly stopped mid clap, my mind became frizzy and more aware of the people around me. My heartbeat matched the rhythm that they were clapping in— utterly fast.

The gorgeous dress that I was wearing and had spent too much on to impress people that did not care about me, the entrance that Marco and I had made, nothing mattered anymore.

I wore black to an all white party, was unknown and arrived with the very well known Marco Mulaney, I had expected their eyes on me. But, it was easy to forget why they were staring at me and giving me nasty looks.

It was even easier to convince myself that they were staring because they knew about Mattia and me. I rushed out of the crowd and stopped at one of the many bars.

"Two please."

"Two what?" The bartender asked.

"Something strong, like shots. Or something."

"Okay," he poured me two shots of vodka. I was not going to be able to get through the night sober.

"One more." My chest burned the same way my heart did.

"Okay, that's enough." Marco said after he had watched me down the two shots.

"I want one more." I argued.

"You're going to get yourself drunk." He tried to take the drink out of my hand.

I pulled the tiny glass back to me. "That you can't control yourself doesn't mean that I can't."

He let go of the glass whilst I was pulling it and the tiny bit of alcohol spilled on my dress.

"My dress!" I looked up at his straight face, no emotion could be detected.

"You know what. Do what the fuck you want." He spoke in a careless manner and walked away.

I was too oblivious to my surroundings to notice why he suddenly had a change of mind. I turned to the bartender and ordered one more drink. This time it was a cocktail of some sort. I took my drink out to the terrace where other guests had settled themselves near the buffet.

I was drinking on an empty stomach and though the food looked great, it was the last thing I was in the mood for. I wandered off to the fountain where only three other people were having their food in absolute quietness.

I sipped on my cocktail until the tall glass was empty then I just stared at the water as the coolness of the air around me started to disappear. Suddenly, it became very hot.

Not long after the three guests left I threw the glass in the fountain, got up and left as well. Walking back to where the buffet was, I spotted a familiar face staring at me. He looked at me with a wide smile.

Why is he here...

I took a turn to my left and walked through the grass to avoid him but he decided to walk into the same direction that I was walking in and unfortunately we came face to face.

"Emmanuelle, you look— absolutely stunning." Rafael complimented me.

"I know." I said and turned away from him when he stepped in front of me and blocked my path.