04 | M

Mattia

"D-Dimitri?"

I froze. No one had called me by that name in years and under any other circumstance I would have corrected the person that called me by that name. I would tell them to call me Mattia, but for some reason I could not bring myself to correct Emmanuelle.

I hated the name, but the way she said it— she said it in a voice, so soft that it almost sounded like a whisper. If every time in my life I was called Dimitri, it was in such a sweet voice then perhaps I would have grown up loving the name.

The only thing I thought of when Emillio messaged me about their arrival was my father's will. Some might say that I was way too invested in the company or that I was greedy for money, but it was about a lot more than that. My family knew this and that was important to me. I could care less about the rest of the world.

But then I walked into my office, seeing a woman holding my father's picture. Nobody told me that she was in my office. I suppose they were all too busy getting emotional about their reunion that they forget to mention it.

The only reason I came to the office was to escape all the drama that was taking place in the living room. The hugging, giggling and everything else, it was too much.

I needed to take some time to gather my thoughts especially after the meeting I had with some idiot investors from another company.

As soon as I saw the unknown figure standing with my father's picture in her hands, I became angry. At first I thought that it was one of the daughters of our maid, but then again I knew all of them and they would not dare to wander around the house.

Then the woman I yelled at turned around and looked me straight in the eyes.

For a few seconds we just stared each other in the eyes, but soon mine became eager to explore each and every inch of her body.

From her dark eyes to her long straight black hair, brown skin. I even managed to notice her chest moving up and down with each breath she took. Soon after my breathing adapted to the 'rhythm' she was breathing in.

She is what I think Disney's Pocahontas would look like in real life, if not than she is even more beautiful in my eyes. She was getting nervous. I could tell because for some reason I was too.

I just had a better way of hiding it but then she opened her mouth. She opened her mouth and that name rolled off her tongue in that voice of hers.

I froze. I froze, because the moment her voice reached my ears my mind went blank.

The only thing I could focus on was the person standing in front of me and the sound that came from her lips. I could feel myself relax when I involuntarily pushed out the hundreds of other things that were occupying my mind.

"Yeah—" I said under my breath when I noticed her push her lips together.

Great, she probably thinks that you're weird.

I shook my head at myself before I made my way around the desk, fighting the urge to look at her again. I sat down in my chair and motioned her to sit down in the one in front of the desk. She sat down with her eyes glued to her lap, biting down on her lower lip.

"W-why am I here?" She was quick to ask.

"Father's lawyer has informed us that you need to be present at the reading of his will."

"Why?" Our eyes met again.

"That's what we're trying to figure out."

"When is the reading?"

"On Saturday."

Her eyebrows pinned together, she did not seem happy about the news. "Can't we do it any earlier?"

"No, he has a busy schedule."

I lied. The meeting with the lawyer was already set for Tuesday, which was in two days. But they just got here— she just got here. I wanted her to stay for a few days longer, I honestly did not know why but I was determined to find out. She sighed, her lips slightly turned into a pout. It was quite adorable.

Stop, stop...this is Nuelle...

I brought my hands down my face. Suddenly, I was having an internal struggle with myself which confused me. My consciousness kept repeating the word sister.

"Anything else?"

I shook my head and pointed at the door. It was rude, but I did not want to speak to her again—I could not speak to her again. I realized that it was foolish of me to lie and say that the meeting would be in a few days.

I could not do something as explore whatever the hell I think I felt in that moment head-first and then deal with the consequences later. Not with her. Not with Nuelle.

"Are you alright?"

I lowered my hands from my face and looked up. She had not left the room as yet and a good minute had passed since I had beckoned her to leave.

"Just tired, you may leave." I stated with a straight face.

She replied with a small nod before she left the room.

After getting Lana to make contact with the lawyer I decided to join the others in the living room. I could hear Marco's voice all the way from the hall. Seemed like his little date with Rosie came to an end rather quickly.

"Ah, brother, come join us." He said as he noticed me walking towards them.

He had his arms wrapped around Nuelle, holding her tight to his chest. My eyebrows furrowed and I could not help but quietly sigh.

She looked happy to be trapped in his arms too, but she immediately pulled away from him when our eyes briefly met. It felt like she could sense that I was not happy about their hug, though I did not understand why.

I was trying very hard to convince myself that it was okay because they are brother and sister even if they are not connected by blood.

"You've grown up so much, Mattia." Tia looked at me in awe.

I flashed her a smile, a genuine one. Tia was family, she was like a mother to all of us.

She drew me in for yet another hug after which she held my face in her hands before she wrapped her arms around Marissa again.

"You've all grown up so much." She sobbed.

My heart broke at the sight of her crying. I could not help but feel guilty about keeping the family apart from one another for so long.