Velvet (oneshot)

Happy birthday, me! March 24 is my birthday and I wanted to celebrate it by giving you a one shot. It's a superhero AU! I won't spoil who's who, but it's probably pretty obvious. It definitely took some time, but I think it's worth it

Ship: none
Tw: none
Au: heros and villains (with powers)
Around 2690 words

It was a dark and dismal evening in Aqua Town and the superhero, Velvet, was squatting on top of a real estate building, looking around the city. They groaned at the rain pouring on their head and drenching the landscape. It was miserable. They adjusted the black silk mask that covered their eyes. The fabric kind of represented their power of seeing into the future, but the mask also served a second purpose. It helped save their anonymity. No one knew their true identity, which was a weird experience for them. They typically enjoyed knowing people, but if it kept them safe, it was gonna be fine. Still, they worried that they were going to be found out and then it would be all over the news. Their parents would be so disappointed in them.

Velvet sighed as the rain fell down around them. Nothing seemed to be going on that night. They even would have fallen asleep if it weren’t for the hands holding their arms. Wait. Hands? Before they knew what was holding them, Velvet was ripped off of the building. They thought they were going to fall, but the tight grip left them suspended in air. They’d never been so scared. The kidnapper flew fast and far away from Aqua Town. They must have owned either a rocket backpack or mechanical wings. Normally, Velvet would have been impressed at their equipment, but this could be the last time they would see the cartooning buildings, or the contraption and gizmos shop, or even the old bargain store. Velvet couldn’t tell if they were crying or if it was just the rain streaming down their face.

They probably should have done something, but they were so stressed, so they just let themselves get kidnapped. Would anyone really care? Maybe a few family members. Velvet sighed. Who decided that they should be a hero? There were so many others that could have done this so much better than them. The others would have taken down their kidnappers and saved the city with their amazing powers. Why didn’t Velvet do that? Probably because of their garbage physical health. They hadn’t slept in days and they couldn’t even remember the last time they ate. It was an awful day for them to be a superhero.

After flying for a bit, Velvet realized they were being captured by two people. One on each arm. Both hands were thin and cold, but it was weirdly comforting. Velvet felt like their eyes were going to fall out of their skull if they kept them open any longer. They shut their eyelids and started to drift off, but before sleep could finally consume them, the group decided it was time to plummet down towards the water. The rush of adrenaline snapped Velvet awake and they braced for pain. In a flash of purple light, they found themself in a warehouse place, not drowning or in pain. A double win. Before they could celebrate the small victory, the two people lunged at them. One tied their wrists together the other pinned down their legs. Velvet didn’t know why, it wasn’t like they were moving or anything. They hoisted the hero onto a chair and began mumbling something to each other. Velvet tried to eavesdrop, but they knew that they couldn’t identify the antagonists by their voices. Heroes and villains had special gadgets that changed the way they speaked provided by an anonymous, neutral character titled "E.” Velvet’s was their mask, that’s why they cared so much about it. They decided to speak up.

“If you’re gonna kidnap me, could you at least tell me your villain names?” This caught the goons off guard.

"I don’t see why we shouldn’t," the one who held their legs started, "my name is Wolf. You probably figured that out though from the helmet." It was true. It was a motorcycle-like helmet with a protruding dog snout. It moved when Wolf talked and showed sharp teeth. It must have taken lots of skill to put together, unlike the casual gray shirt and shorts that made up the rest of their outfit.