Knight (oneshot)

Ship: none
Tw: crying
Au: none?
Around 960 words

“Hey, Knighty!” “Well if it isn’t Wels of the knight variety.” “How’s my knight in shining armour?” “Thank you, my knight!” “See you later, Knight Guy.”

    It was one in the morning and Wels rolled over on his feather pillow. He had already flipped it over two times, so both sides were uncomfortably warm. That was fine. He doubted he would sleep anyway. This was the third time in a week that he was thinking about it. “It” being all of the knight names. He was embarrassed with how much he loved them. His fellow hermits would use the titles and he just felt so… happy. He didn’t know why, but every little “knighty” gave him butterflies. Thinking about them fluttered his heart, but they also made him feel strange. Wels stopped seeing himself as a dude or a bro. He was a knight.

    Wels sat up. He was tired, but his mind wouldn’t stop going. He reached over to his bedside table and groped around. He found his communicator and turned it on, blinding himself in the process. With a groan, he opened the search engine. He was going to do what he always did on nights like this. Wels typed in the words that made sense to his sleep deprived mind and spent ages researching knights. There were stories and pictures, famous names and titles, tumblr posts and hand drawn original characters. They were all so interesting, though he noticed something peculiar about one of the doodles. There was the name and then something underneath it. He curiously opened a new tab and looked the phrase up. After clicking on the first link, he got the same fluttery feeling erupting in his chest. He read and reread the webpage, eyes watering and blurring the screen. There was something for him. Well, not him entirely. He needed to share this with someone.

Wels called up the first person he could think of and they picked up after a few rings. They claimed to be too tired to talk on the phone, so they invited Wels over. He was quick to strap on his elytra and fly away. He was so excited with the news. At least, that’s what he told himself. He was fairly sure that he was ready, but he couldn’t shake the overwhelming amount of fear. He didn’t know if anyone would really care about the new information, but that hurt to think about. People would care. They would think it was important and he knew it.

Wels landed at Stress’s base. She seemed to always know what to do in situations like this. He knocked on her door and she sleepily opened it. She seemed concerned, but she also looked impatient. Wels didn’t blame her. It was very late. Or early. It depends on what one would consider to be morning. She ushered him inside.

“What’s got you up at this time, Wels?” He opened his mouth, but he froze up. He just couldn’t get the words out. He didn’t know why he couldn’t tell her something so simple. He started to shake. He wasn’t sure if he was embarrassed or just shy. This felt like such an easy task, but an invisible pressure crushed him. He felt a tear fall. Stress’s eyes widened. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. If you just want someone by you, that’s fine.” Wels started to sob.

“No! I don’t know why I’m even crying. I wanna tell you, but I just feel so wrong.” He hiccoughed. “It’s not even that I feel wrong, I just can’t bring myself to say it.”

“Love, that’s alright. I won’t hate you if you tell me, nor will I hate you if you keep it to yourself. If you want to try explaining it, I’m all ears.”

Wels took a deep breath. “Okay. I was thinking about knight nicknames people give me so I couldn’t sleep and whenever I can’t sleep I google things that are interesting and I found art and it was someone with kni/knight pronouns and I want to use that.”

“Oh! Well, I’m glad you could tell me about this. I’m sorry for being intrusive, but do you think you’re transgender?”

“Not really. I still feel like a boy, but also a knight. Like he/him and kni/knight.”

“That’s good to know, thank you. Do you want me to use the pronouns in front of the other hermits?” It was evident that kni had calmed down.

“Yeah. Could you tell them about this for me?”

“As much as I would love to help you, it’s not my job to decide who you come out to.”

“That makes sense. Do you think anyone would be upset?"

“Probably not. Iskall came out as non-binary and didn’t receive hate from us. You should be fine.” He smiled at the woman in front of knight.

“Thank you, Stress.”

“Of course, love.” Wels flew away. Kni felt an incredible weight fall off his shoulders. He had never really questioned knight’s pronouns, but kni was glad he did. He wiped off knight's cheeks and pulled out his communicator.

KnightyKnight: Hey guys I just wanted to say that I use he/him and kni/knight pronouns now

ILikeUrCutG: thats so cool !!!

IskIskIsk: ayy congrats wels

Hypster: KNIGHT GUY!! YESS!!!

‘Tho: coolio knight

Scarrr: tahst yuo living ur best life jeep it up

ILikeUrCutG: go to bed scar

Scarrr: lol no

Wels smiled. Kni was a new person. Kind of. It was like he took the rust off of knightself. He was new and shiny, but still the same Wels. That felt good. Wels was happy with knight’s decision. Now knight just needed to get to bed. Pulling an allnighter was not something kni wanted to do again.

This is kinda rushed, but I still love it. I've been struggling with time management, so writing has taken a lot longer than I would like it to. I'm only partway done with the original fic I was gonna post this month. Anyway, I should probably also mention that I also use kni/knight pronouns. (Also I have like 7 hours worth of Hermitcraft content to catch up on) Happy pride! <3