➵ Hot Water

Emily had called an impromptu meeting at the Brew, in the early hours of morning

Emily had called an impromptu meeting at the Brew, in the early hours of morning. This time all five girls had showed up with tired faces, owing to their personal troubles, and also because of the fact that Emily didn't have a better time than 6 in the morning to discuss about the new developments in A's game.

"How you holding up, Em?", Hanna questioned.

Emily shrugged in reply, "Don't think I'll be taking an elevator any time soon."

"Any word from Jason?", Hanna shifted to face Avery, who wrung her hands worriedly, "No. Nothing."

Aria huffed, "Okay, so now that the whole N.A.T. Club is out of Rosewood, do you think that A will retire?"

"Or just have more time for us", Spencer stated, swirling the coffee in her hand.

"Way to think positive, Spence."

"I just doubt suddenly everything's gonna be lilacs and daffodils."

"Guys, let's focus", Hanna lightly banged the table, "Cece lied about knowing Wilden, and then we find a picture of both of them with Ali."

"Yeah, a picture that's now gone", Emily stressed.

"New rule. Next time we see anything that might be important to us down the road, it goes in the phone", Aria crossed her arms.

"Yeah, like our phones are invincible", Avery scoffed.

"Okay, so is it possible that Cece is... What are we calling her, Red Coat?", Emily quipped.

"What do you think, Spencer?", Avery nudged Spencer, "Blonde? Red coat? Captain of the A team?"

"Maybe it's Cece", Spencer shrugged, distantly.

"Pay attention. We need this brain trust firing on all cylinders."

"What happened with you and Wren?", Hanna wondered, and Spencer sniffed, "It's nothing. Mona and I had a moment, and, uh, he saw, that's all."

"A moment that might make her try and cut Emily in half?", Aria raised an eyebrow.

"No. No, you guys, this wasn't Mona", Spencer shook her head, "We were in a different county."

"Well, then who do you think it was?", Emily questioned. The girls all faced Spencer, who looked like she was about to blurt something out. A knock on the door diverted their attention to the door, and Spencer took that chance to compose herself.  Hanna got up wearily to open the door, and parroted monotonously, "We're closed."

"You're here", a familiar voice floated towards them. Wilden.

"I have the keys", Emily held up her set of keys.

"Yeah, and drinking coffee's not a crime, unlike some other things", Avery spat. Avery felt Spencer's hand clamping on her arm, as a way to restrain her from acting recklessly. She glared at Spencer, before exhaling. A small smirk appeared on Wilden's face, which disappeared as quickly as it had come.