➵ Blind Dates

"This place is skeevy", Aria remarked as she looked around in disgust

"This place is skeevy", Aria remarked as she looked around in disgust. The girls were standing in an alleyway, waiting for Spencer to  reappear from inside a rickety little shop.

"She pawned her sister's wedding ring", Hanna rolled her eyes, "You're not gonna go to Tiffany's."

"So... Wren and Melissa?", Emily piped up, changing the topic.

"Weird, right?"

"Could you tell what he gave her?"

"No", Aria shook her head, "She didn't seem happy about it."

"It has to be painkillers right? I mean, Wren is a doctor. If Melissa is desperate enough to call her ex-fiancé to help her husband, it has to be something hospital-related. Or something British, but that's not very likely.", Avery said in one breathe, before pausing, "Ian's probably going to be fine."

"Why do you look happy about that?", Aria raised an eyebrow, as Avery shrugged, "Happy? Me? No."

"I wonder if Ian will be", Hanna mused.

Too much Ian. Time for a subject change. "So", Avery turned to Emily, "How you holdin' up?"

"Great", Emily replied sarcastically, "Ever since I got that fake scholarship letter, my mom thinks I can do no wrong. I'm living a lie I didn't even tell."

"Leave it to A to make you feel bad about your mom feeling good", Avery sighed. The sound of a door being slammed open, made the four girls turn their heads in the direction of the pawnshop, where a flustered Spencer was stomping her way towards them.

"I can't believe that it's gone", Spencer groaned after she finished narrating what had happened. The owner sold the ring to someone else, and gave Spencer a horseshoe. A rusty old horseshoe, in the place of a shining, diamond ring.

"At least you got your money back", Hanna smiled motioning to the wad of cash in Spencer's hand.

"Am I supposed to give her this?!", Spencer exclaimed in exasperation, shoving the horseshoe onto Hanna's face, "I stole it. I actually stole my sister's wedding ring!"

Avery's eyes caught sight of a huge sign advertising an optometrist, a pair of huge eyes, right in the middle. It was almost like those eyes were peeing down at them, like they knew every secret, every lie-

Cue the obnoxious, chorus of pings and chirps from their phones. As if it wasn't painfully obvious who was behind this.

Just my luck, diamonds are a girl's best friend.

-A

»» ««

"Hey, why aren't you hanging out with Hanna and Co, nowadays?", Caleb asked nonchalantly, as he stood in line beside Avery at the cafeteria. Hanna and Co. Avery rolled her eyes at his meek attempt to sound like he didn't care about Hanna.