➵ It Happened That Night

Never in a million years, did any of the girls think that they would have an A-free life anytime soon

Never in a million years, did any of the girls think that they would have an A-free life anytime soon. Five months later, the entire fiasco felt like a fever dream, even though they things they endured were still fresh in their minds.

Mirroring the sleepover they had the night Alison disappeared, the five girls sat (this time in Spencer house, not her barn), drinking from red plastic cups and watching a movie. Ironically it was Alison's two year 'disappearance anniversary'.

"Em, you and I are the only ones who did anything worth talking about this summer", Hanna drawled, "Aria took some boring picture class, Avery volunteered and Spencer went to college." Hanna, surprisingly, bounced back from the brunt of Mona being their secret tormentor, quicker than anyone would have expected, and had reverted back to her usual chatty self.

"I took a full load at Hollis", Spencer huffed, "Aria beat out a thousands applicants for a space in that photography class and Avery taught-"

"Oh, oh, not just that! I also volunteered in hospitals, along with-", Avery beamed, evidently proud of what she had done during the summer, before Hanna purposefully cut her off.

"So, how many houses did you build?", Hanna asked Emily.

"Uh, I think we finished about six", a hazy Emily replied

"And in poor countries, one house is like a home for fifty."

"Okay, Miss Productive", Aria rolled her eyes, "How much of your list did you actually do?"

"Let's see", Hanna pursed her lips, "Cooking class with Caleb. Done. Volunteer at the Animal Shelter for pocket dogs-"

"Wait", Avery's eyes widened, "That exists?"

"-Did not do", Hanna shrugged, seeing the looks on the girls' faces, "Yeah, I changed my mind. Turns out they want you to work for free."

A distant rumbling noise made the five girls snap their head towards the half-open window.

"Was that a car?", Hanna's eyes widened. Oh, looks like the paranoia hasn't gone away completely.

"No, it's just the wind", Spencer shook it off. Emily poured more alcohol into her cup.

Aria's eyes widened, "Oh, careful, Em, they're already pretty strong."

"Maybe for you, you're a pixie", Emily scoffed, chugging the whole glass down, before hiccupping, "I've gotten really good at this."

"Ooh, look at Liv!", Aria exclaimed in awe, already having zoomed out of the conversation, as she watched the said woman karate-chop the villain on the television. Avery grimaced, causing gurgles of laughter to erupt from the others. It was the weirdest thing to watch your sister on tv as a badass heroine.

A sudden feeling of restlessness arose in each of the girls, when they heard their phones simultaneously chime. They stiffened, their gazed fixated on the phones lying on the coffee table. None of them dared to move a muscle.