➵ Someone to Watch Over Me

The cafeteria was bustling with people

The cafeteria was bustling with people. The girls, minus Spencer, were sitting at a table, admiring a picture of an owl pendant on Hanna's phone.

"Oh, it's so pretty, Hanna", Aria gushed, "When did he give it to you?"

Hanna smiled gleefully, "Oh, he hasn't given it to me. Not yet. I found it. I wasn't looking for it, but I found it. I took a picture and then I just put it back."

"Why an owl?", Avery asked curiously, as she admired the picture on Hanna's phone. "It's symbolic", Hanna grinned.

"Of what?"

"Of our first night, in the tent. We heard owls."

"Swooping down to carry off their prey?", Aria teased as Hanna scoffed playfully, "Okay, you cannot stomp the romance. Owls and tents and s'mores are all part of that night. Every perfect minute of it."

"Have you two had another opportunity?", Avery asked slyly, lifting an eyebrow up.

"Not since he went in the guestroom, but we do have plans", Hanna beamed.

Emily wasn't paying attention to what the others were talking about; her focus was on a table on the other side of the cafeteria, where Paige and Sean were. Hanna was the first to notice that Emily was distracted.

"Oh, Em, don't worry about it. It's totally cool. The breakup was way messy, but Sean's a good guy. I mean, he should be happy", Hanna beamed, "Everybody should be as happy as I am. You know, maybe I should practice my surprised face when he gives it to me." Hanna put on multiple 'surprised' faces, earning chuckles from the others. The sound of a chair scraping on the floor, brought their attention onto the missing fifth member of the group, who had just plonked down on an empty chair.

"Hey, are you okay?", Emily asked placing a comforting arm on the taller brunettes arm.

"We didn't think you were coming in today", Aria added.

Spencer sighed, "I have to be someplace other than home."

"Are the cops still there?", Avery asked guiltily, "Ben told me about it and I tried calling you to warn you, but you didn't pick up."

"They came and went."

"They actually took things?", Aria asked in surprise.

Spencer shrugged, "Not so much. My mom says that they did it just to shake me up."

"What'd they take?", Avery enquired.

"Um, things from my jewelry box", Spencer pondered, "stuff from my closet, a couple pairs of shoes-"

Hanna gasped, "Wait, not the Tory Burches."

Spencer chuckled softly, "No, sneakers. They wanted my laptop, but my mom said no. It wasn't in the search warrant and they couldn't have it. You should know there's a chance they might try to pull this on you."