➵The Jenna Thing

The girls all gathered together at the Grille

The girls all gathered together at the Grille. To a passerby, they looked like a group of normal teenagers gossiping about 'life problems'. In some inexplicable way, the danger that loomed, brought the five of them closer. Except for a handful of servers and an old couple, the Grille was eerily empty.

"Why was Jenna there?", mused Aria .

"I guess she is back", sighed Spencer.

"The cop acted like we were suspects or something", Hanna rolled her eyes before turning to Avery,"Why couldn't your brother have taken this case?"

"Because he is my brother Hanna. And I'm connected to case."

"Do you think we looked guilty?", asked Emily in a hushed tone.

"Why would we?", exclaimed Avery in a slightly louder tone, "We haven't done anything wrong"

"Except lie about the Jenna thing", Hanna retorted in an all-knowing tone receiving an exasperated huff in response.

"We promised to never bring up the 'Jenna Thing', remember?", reminded Spencer, "It never happened."

"Have you found a way to forget? Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night-",

"It was an accident,Aria", Spencer cut off trying to reassure the tiny girl.

Avery fiddled with the edge of her napkin, the voices of her friends droning in the background. Her thoughts swirled with confusion and doubt.

"How does A know something only Alison does?", exclaimed Emily, voicing Avery's own thoughts out loud.

"I mean, Alison could have told somebody", argued Avery, " but then, it's highly improbable that Alison would do that. Doing so, would mean losing her leverage over us."

Aria reminisced,"Alison knew all our secrets, but we knew none of hers."

"I knew some", Spencer piped up piquing the interests of the rest of the girls.

"What are you waiting for?!"

"Go on!"

"Talk!"

Spencer shook her head and denied.

" Spencer, you are not going to drop a bomb like that and clam up", exclaimed Aria.

"She would so kill me if I told you"

Avery resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"She's dead", Hanna remarked unimpressed with her friends unwillingness to spill the secret.

Spencer sighed animatedly, "Ali was seeing someone that summer."

" I knew she was keeping something from me," exclaimed Emily, "from us."