➵ Eye of the Beholder

The girls sat at Lucky Leon's, eagerly waiting for Aria to update them on what had happened when she went to meet the mystery guy who recognized Vivian's coat the previous day

"Well, he recognized the coat, but when he saw it first, he thought it was Alison- Vivian", Aria explained, sipping on the milkshake in front of her.

"When he noticed you didn't come back, he was gone", Emily noted, as Hanna commented, "He was cute from the back."

"So was his front, under different circumstances", Aria added, "He's been in Florida for, like, a year."

"What did you tell him exactly?", Spencer enquired.

"Uh, I told him that I was a friend of Vivian's and that I hadn't seen her since she gave me the coat."

"Can I see that number again?", Avery asked, holding her hand out, "Duncan Albert?"

"He said he met her in Brookhaven? Yeah, in a bookstore. Couple places down from that creepy doll hospital."

"Well, whoever Duncan is, he's connected to Alison and what she wanted in Brookhaven", Spencer stated, crossing her arms.

Hanna scoffed, "How do we know that he wasn't just some guy she flirted with in a bookstore?"

"I don't think Alison wasted Vivian on flirting", Avery shook her head, "When she put that wig on, she wanted something"

"I'll call him", Aria stated resolutely, as she dug into her bag to get her phone.

"Aria, you don't have to", Emily said, holding Aria's hand, "Any one of us could've been wearing that coat."

The sound of a car screeching to a halt beside the bakery, brought the five girls attention into the cab that had just stopped. Toby stepped out of the cab, subtly locking eyes with Spencer. For a moment, the girls thought he was going to head their way, but he walked to the other side of the cab and opened the door. Jenna stepped out of it, latched onto Tobys arm, a white eye-pad peeking out from her glasses.

"She had the operation", Hanna breathed in realization.

»» ««

Ashley kept badgering Hanna with questions about A, and demanded her phone, making Hanna throw her goddamn phone into the sink. Dramatic much?

"It's really old, like six months. But it works pretty good for an antique", Mona smiled, handing Hanna a replacement phone, since Ashley refused to buy her a new phone, "The number bills to my account. Your mom never has to know."

"Oh. Mona, you are a life saver", Hanna gushed, hugging Mona.

"Well, what's the point of doing something for someone if it doesn't make you look good?", Mona grinned, "I'm already number one on the speed dial. Ciao!"