~ I M P O R T A N T ~

(PLEASE READ)

hi guys, die here with a little disclaimer before the next chapter.

so when i published every last piece the first time, one of the things that kept nagging at me was what happens in "nos desíres changent".

it will contain (non graphic) descriptions of sexual assault, which is the cause of elodie leaving her mum's house.

what bothers me isn't the content, rather the fact that i felt i was using attempted rape as a plot point, rather than a chance to educate people and demonstrate how disgustingly common things like this are.

and so, let's delve into a couple of statistics and a little rant/disclosure by me, so we can all leave this with a better understanding of what is happening in our world and move onto the next chapter!!

rape culture is an epidemic even larger than the pandemic we are all living through today- 1 in 3 women are victims of sexual assault, and 1 in 6 men. in the US alone, 800 people are assaulted per day- one person per 73 seconds. the numbers only keep rising. and here's the thing: 99.5 of rapists will not spend a day of their life in prison.

we only contribute to rape culture by making it something normalized. we cannot keep letting people, especially men, keep getting away with the awful things that they do or try to do to us.

even minor aggressions- catcalling, heckling, remarks, or slaps on the ass ARE ASSULT. there are no invalid experiences, and THERE. IS. NO. excuse for doing any of these things.

we have let men get away with their temptations with tossing around phrases like "boys will be boys" or "he just couldn't control himself."

phrases like these blame the victims instead of making the assaulters TAKE FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY. men can control themselves. they just choose not to, and society lets them.

spread awareness, and keep on fighting.

rape is not something to be overlooked. it is not something to joke about. it is not something that should be blamed on the victim.

we, as a society, need to do better. i hope that everyone who reads this can take a moment to sign a petition, donate, or simply try and educate yourself further on pressing issues like this.

https://www.change.org/t/sexual-assault-2

(includes a list of over 500 petitions on sexual assault, go sign a few ;)

remember i love you, please reach out for help when you need it, and my dms are always open to talk.

HOTLINES:

(sexual assault) 800-656-4673

(domestic violence) 800-799-7233

(lgbtq) 888-843-4564

(text helpline for rape) 741741