Adorable Like a Dragon

author's note: and the promised cheerful chapter arrives. enjoy!

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

January 1, 1994

Elodie woke early that morning, sneaking out of the boys dormitories as quietly as she could.

She was still wearing yesterday's jumper, but she was much too tired to care. Running on three hours of sleep really didn't suit Elodie well.

She would go to the hospital wing. And if he wasn't there, maybe Lacy would let her into the Hufflepuff dormitories.

The common room looked empty at a glance, embers of the fire burned to coals and the first beams of sunshine they had seen in weeks peaking through the curtains.

"Els!" A hyper voice greeted her as soon as her feet hit the wood floor. Shit.

"Bug off, Fred." Elodie sighed.

"No, see-" Fred jumped up from the couch, practically skipping beside her. Fred didn't do well running on little sleep, either. He got... over-spirited.

"I'm going to win you over. I know I don't deserve you, and I'm a sadistic arsehole, and a bastard, but I'm going to win you back." He told her excitedly.

She was too tired to process anything he was saying. "Brilliant."

"Yeah? Brilliant. Brilliant." He grinned.

Jesus Christ, had he slept even a wink last night?

"I'm going down to see Forrest." She informed him warily.

"Can I walk you?" Said Fred happily.

Elodie looked at him like he was insane. To be fair, he was, a little. "No."

"Pleeeease? Please, please, please, ple-"

"Fine! Merlin!" Elodie relented.

Fred hooked his arm in hers, walking merrily down the stairs.

"Want me to bring you breakfast today? I'll getcha eggs benedict! What does Forrest eat? Did Ollie say when quidditch practices start again? If you want to play one on one we could do that this afternoon-" Fred rambled.

"Freddie! Calm!" Elodie pinched the bridge of her nose with her free hand.

"I am calm." Fred shrugged.

"Our definitions of calm are so different." Elodie said. "And-no offense-but I don't reckon Forrest is keen on seeing you."

Fred pouted. "Cause I punched him?"

Elodie raised her eyebrows. "No, Fred, he doesn't want to see you because he has a prejudice against gingers- of course because you punched him!"

Fred snorted. "Funny, funny, girl."

"Shove it, Barbra Streisand." Elodie had to restrain herself from smiling.

"Who's-"

Fred wouldn't get the chance to ask who Barbra Streisand was, because at that moment, they both sunk about two feet deep into the trick step.

And, by association, two feet deep into month-old meringue pie.

This was the very definition of karma.

"Buggering christ." Fred swore.

Elodie glared at him. "This is all your fault."

"How is this my fault?" He said indignantly.