Love Notes

authors note: slightly annoying but very cute love notes to my excellent readers.

CW: pretty non-graphic descriptions of blood

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

January 2, 1994

It was a massive understatement to say Elodie was relived to have her roommates back. She had only been caught in the fight between Fred and Forrest for a day and a half, and was already ready to jump off the astronomy tower.

It all seemed so sudden, too. Elodie had pined after Fred for almost two years, and only when Elodie was utterly unattainable was he interested in her?

Men were the problem.

"We're ba-ack!" Three beautiful voices chorused.

Alicia, Maura, and Katie piled in their dorm, throwing suitcases and scarfs onto the floor. Never in Elodie's life had she been more grateful to see them.

"Oh, thank Godric." She cried happily, embracing each of her friends in turn. "I was about to off myself. Or Fred."

"I'm glad we were missed." Alicia winked. "Had a good Christmas?"

"Erm," Elodie winced. "Interesting one. I have stories to tell you all. But you lot first, tell me about your holidays!"

Alicia had been in Michigan, visiting her American muggle relatives. Apparently they were all racist, but "rich enough to make up for it" in Alicia's book. Elodie decided she never wanted to go to Michigan.

Katie had spent the holidays with her dads, who had a flat in York. "There was no snow this year, only hail." She sighed.

Maura had spent Hanukah with her relatives in Rome, but Boxing Day and New Year's with Iris's family in south east London. They had a house by a lake, and Maura recommended they all go there over the summer.

"Now, tell us these stories!" Maura demanded. The four girls had formed a circle around the heating vent for warmth, a chilly winter breeze wafting through the windows.

"Oh, god." Elodie laughed nervously. "It's so bad."

The three girls were good listeners. They had all been privy to the fight with Fred last year, so all of them could cite how reckless he could be.

She told them all about Forrest ("A seventh year, Elodie?!"), and about his physical fight turned intangible with Fred. And finally-and most mortifyingly-the kiss between the two of them on New Years. ("Bloody hell, I owe Ginny three galleons.").

Apparently, it was not only Maura who owed someone money. Nearly everyone in their house had a bet running about how long it was going to take Elodie and Fred to get together. Evidently George had guessed second year as a joke, and now owed the general public about 10 galleons.

Elodie was very keen Fred never, ever, find out about said bet-otherwise it was unlikely she would ever hear the end of it.

"I hate you all." Elodie declared, when they had finished informing her on the small betting ring going on between the Gryffindors. There were even sub-bets, like first kiss, or marriage.

"Colin owes me four knuts about the kiss, though." Katie whispered.

"Is there any way to shut down your stupid betting pool?!" Elodie asked desperately.

"Nope." Maura shook her head smugly. "We're in too deep."

Elodie rolled her eyes. Well, at least she didn't owe anyone four knuts.